>From the serial log, it looks to me like you don't have enough memory
reserved. Try bumping up crashkernel=? You're not getting to the point
of running makedumpfile so I don't see how it would be impacted.

Its hard to say why jammy works for you and focal does not. I don't
think we have a larger crashkernel= value by default. It is likely
something more subtle like the initramfs in jammy consuming less memory.

Note that once the memory issue is resolved, I suspect you'll hit bug
1970672.

** Changed in: makedumpfile (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: linux-meta-hwe-5.15 (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to makedumpfile in Ubuntu.

  kdump fails on focal + linux-image-generic-hwe-20.04 kernel

Status in linux-meta-hwe-5.15 package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged
Status in makedumpfile package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged

Bug description:
  1)
  $ lsb_release -rd
  Release:      20.04
  2) ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ apt-cache policy makedumpfile
  makedumpfile:
    Installed: 1:1.6.7-1ubuntu2.4
    Candidate: 1:1.6.7-1ubuntu2.4
    Version table:
   *** 1:1.6.7-1ubuntu2.4 500
          500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal-updates/main amd64 Packages
          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
       1:1.6.7-1ubuntu2 500
          500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal/main amd64 Packages
  ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ apt-cache policy kexec-tools
  kexec-tools:
    Installed: 1:2.0.18-1ubuntu1
    Candidate: 1:2.0.18-1ubuntu1
    Version table:
   *** 1:2.0.18-1ubuntu1 500
          500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal/main amd64 Packages
          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
  $ apt-cache policy linux-image-generic-hwe-20.04
  linux-image-generic-hwe-20.04:
    Installed: 5.15.0.56.62~20.04.22
    Candidate: 5.15.0.56.62~20.04.22
    Version table:
   *** 5.15.0.56.62~20.04.22 500
          500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal-updates/main amd64 Packages
          500 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal-security/main amd64
Packages
          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
       5.4.0.26.32 500
          500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal/main amd64 Packages

  3) crash dump of linux-image-generic-hwe-20.04 kernel to complete successfully
  4) the kexec'ed kernel panics and fails to capture the kernel crash dump

  Package: kdump-tools 1:1.6.7-1ubuntu2.4
  ProcVersionSignature: User Name 5.15.0-56.62~20.04.1-generic 5.15.64
  Uname: Linux 5.15.0-56-generic x86_64
  ApportVersion: 2.20.11-0ubuntu27.25
  Architecture: amd64
  CasperMD5CheckResult: skip