UPDATE RE: i915.enable_psr=0

Yes, this kernel parameter solves the problem - WHEN - the laptop runs
off it's internal battery.

As soon as I plug the power cable in and issue a >> systemctl suspend <<
command, the screen will go blank, however, the system will not go into
sleep: the keyboard backlight will stay on and will fade after a while;
if I touch the touchpad or any key on the keyboard, the backlight will
turn back on; moreover, sometimes the keyboard backlight just stays on
constantly, does not fade away; the power button will have it's led on,
won't turn off and I can hear the system is somewhat still running - as
in: it does not become 100% quiet, some electricity is still in use.

So, this kernel module is only a partial solution.

  Ubuntu 22.10 and Dell Latitude 7390 – screen does not turn back on
  after waking up from sleep

  Ubuntu 22.10 and Dell Latitude 7390 – screen does not turn back on
  after waking up from sleep

  Scenario:

  Fresh and clean Ubuntu 22.10 install on Latitude 7390, requiring
  nomodeset kernel boot option to be added in GRUB at boot time when
  booting from USB stick. This can be achieved by following instructions
  from here: https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-uk/000123893/manual-
  nomodeset-kernel-boot-line-option-for-linux-booting

  Then, nomodeset needs to be permanently added to /etc/default/grub
  Followed instructions from
https://askubuntu.com/questions/38780/how-do-i-set-nomodeset-after-ive-already-installed-ubuntu

  If nomodeset is not added, Dell Latitude 7390 will freeze at one point
  or another, either before reaching the Gnome desktop, either little
  after. This is the case with both, installing Ubuntu 22.10 from Live
  USB and running Ubuntu 22.10 after install the install (and having the
  USB stick disconnected).

  The issue after having Ubuntu 22.10 installed on Dell Latitude 7390 and
having nomodeset permanently added to GRUB for each boot is:

  If by chance the system goes into sleep, after waking up, there is a
  totally pitch-black screen; nothing shows up, no screen backlight
  either. However, caps-lock works and I am able to log in to the system
  via ssh and can see the system is up an running well. I can even issue
  a request to send the system to sleep by “sudo systemctl suspend” and
  then wake the the system up several times without loosing ssh access,
  however, the screen will remain pitch-black.

  Other tries to troubleshoot and see if the system can be brought back with a
working display (while nomodeset kernel option is being used):

  1. sudo systemctl suspend -i
  >>> this will result in an unusable system after waking up, again, with a
pitch-black screen; moreover, the caps-lock would not work, the keyboard
backlight won’t work, ssh won’t work; I need a hard reset to get the system
back up.

  2. start the system in single user mode by inserting “single” in GRUB at boot
time;
  >>> the system will be unusable after waking up, same as in try 1.

  3. after a normal boot into the GNOME desktop with kernel nomodeset
  option and investigating the dmesg for any acpi, no error could be
  found.

  Tried to read up on other possible solutions, while stumbled upon the ubuntu
wiki page below:
  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UnderstandingSuspend
  Unfortunately, to not much help so far.

  Other notes:
  N1. All the above were done by having the latest BIOS v1.30.0
  N2. This laptop came with Windows 10 Pro which works fine: goes into suspend
and wakes up fine, with working screen and display.

  N3. Dell Latitude 7390 was released on 15 Feb 2018 ( source:
https://www.laptoparena.net/dell/notebook-dell-latitude-7390-n025l739013emea-black-12984
 ) and the user manual states it has support for Ubuntu. Therefore, other older
and major Ubuntu versions were given a try, along with a new version of Fedora:
  N3.1 – Ubuntu 22.04
  N3.2 – Ubuntu 18.04.6
  N3.3 – Ubuntu 16.04.7
  N3.4 – Fedora-Workstation-Live-x86_64-37-1.7
  Each of the above will freeze at one point or another if nomodeset is not
used, except the Ubuntu 18.04.6 and Ubuntu 16.04.7 which will run well and
install well from the USB Live stick and will also run fine after the install,
until the system goes into sleep, after which, when the system is awake, the
screen is black and will have nothing displayed.

  Any advice will be appreciated. Thank you!

  Package: linux-image-5.19.0-31-generic 5.19.0-31.32
  ApportVersion: 2.23.1-0ubuntu3
  Architecture: amd64
  AudioDevicesInUse:
   USER        PID ACCESS COMMAND
   /dev/snd/controlC0:  tuser      2832 F.... wireplumber
   /dev/snd/seq:        tuser      2829 F.... pipewire
  CRDA: N/A
  CasperMD5CheckResult: pass
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
  Date: Sat Feb 11 13:37:59 2023
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 22.10 "Kinetic Kudu" - Release amd64 (20221020)
  Lsusb:
   Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
   Bus 001 Device 003: ID 8087:0a2b Intel Corp. Bluetooth wireless interface
   Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0bda:5650 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. Integrated
Webcam_HD
   Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0a5c:5832 Broadcom Corp. 5880
  MachineType: Dell Inc. Latitude 7390
  ProcEnviron:
   LANGUAGE=en_GB:en
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>
   LANG=en_GB.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  ProcFB: 0 EFI VGA
  ProcKernelCmdLine: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-5.19.0-31-generic
root=UUID=ef0306ad-ea82-4608-b711-ee16cf13a267 ro debug nomodeset
ignore_loglevel
  RelatedPackageVersions:
   linux-restricted-modules-5.19.0-31-generic N/A
   linux-backports-modules-5.19.0-31-generic  N/A
   linux-firmware                             20220923.gitf09bebf3-0ubuntu1
  SourcePackage: linux
  WifiSyslog:

  dmi.bios.date: 11/20/2022
  dmi.bios.release: 1.30
  dmi.bios.vendor: Dell Inc.
  dmi.bios.version: 1.30.0
  dmi.board.name: 09386V
  dmi.board.vendor: Dell Inc.
  dmi.board.version: A00
  dmi.chassis.type: 10
  dmi.chassis.vendor: Dell Inc.
  dmi.modalias:
dmi:bvnDellInc.:bvr1.30.0:bd11/20/2022:br1.30:svnDellInc.:pnLatitude7390:pvr:rvnDellInc.:rn09386V:rvrA00:cvnDellInc.:ct10:cvr:sku081B:
  dmi.product.family: Latitude
  dmi.product.name: Latitude 7390
  dmi.product.sku: 081B
  dmi.sys.vendor: Dell Inc.