I understand that having it in the root filesystem is too late.

However, I would have thought it would be good enough to have it early
in the initrd, or do you also require output prior to initrd starting?
having it built-in trades wasting RAM for all billions of Ubuntu
instances, and the module in question is large.

  linux: CONFIG_SERIAL_8250_MID=y

  Starting from 5.19 HWE kernel, this option became as dedicated module instead
of being compiled into the kernel.
  5.19 hwe-next also has CONFIG_SERIAL_8250_MID=m
  On 5.15 it was OK

  ~$ uname -r
  5.19.0-32-generic
  $ cat /boot/config-5.19.0-32-generic  | grep 8250_MID
  CONFIG_SERIAL_8250_MID=m

  Please make it CONFIG_SERIAL_8250_MID=y for all the future kernels.

  Previous ticket: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1967338
  Some discussion:
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/kernel-team/2022-March/128690.html

  Thanks!