reply #34,

The linux-modules-iwlwifi-generic-hwe-22.04 just provide an alternative
intel wifi driver which loads later Intel firmware for your system, I
think install any userspace package won't impact it, unless you install
new kernel without upgrading the package against the new kernel.

the firmware in #8 is in jammy-proposed now, please keep monitoring to
see if you still suffer from the issue you met before.

Thanks,

Packages, which is subscribed to linux-firmware in Ubuntu.

  Ubuntu 22.04 XPS 13 plus 9320  kernel 6.0 OEM and 5.19 breaks wifi
  frequently

Status in linux-firmware package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in oem-somerville-tentacool-meta package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in linux-firmware source package in Jammy:
  Fix Committed
Status in oem-somerville-tentacool-meta source package in Jammy:
  Confirmed
Status in linux-firmware source package in Kinetic:
  Fix Released
Status in oem-somerville-tentacool-meta source package in Kinetic:
  Invalid
Status in linux-firmware source package in Lunar:
  Fix Released
Status in oem-somerville-tentacool-meta source package in Lunar:

  [SRU Justification]

  [Impact]

  backport-iwlwifi-dkms/kinetic is being built into hwe-5.19 kernel, and
  -73 firmware are supported bug missing. On one user reported issue,
  this fixes WiFi stability on 5G band.

  [Fix]

  New upstreamed firmware revision fixes this issue.

  [Test Case]

  1. Boot hwe-5.19 kernel
  2. iwlwifi-so-a0-gf-a0-73.ucode firmware should be loaded
  3. Browse the web, usually takes between 1 and 5 minutes
  4. Networking will cut out

  [Where problems could occur]

  This affects only users need both backport-iwlwifi-dkms and hwe-5.19
  kernel on WiFi stability.

  [Other Info]

  While Kinetic and above have them all, only Jammy is nominated.

  ========== original bug report ==========

  I'm using the stock Dell Ubuntu 22.04 image on my XPS 13 Plus (9320).
  Recently I received some kernel updates, the 5.19 kernel used in 22.10
  and a 6.0 oem kernel. Both updates break wifi. It seems to only do so
  on newer 5.7 GHz access points.

  1. Boot latest 6.0 oem kernel
  2. Browse the web, usually takes between 1 and 5 minutes.
  3. Networking will cut out.

  Disabling networking and starting again will fix it until it happens
  again in a few minutes. This will repeat indefinitely, essentially
  making wireless useless.

  The attached dmesg log reliably shows up when it fails, showing
  iwlwifi failing and a (network?) hardware reset request.

  It witnessed this happen months ago on 22.10, which led me to using
  the Dell stock 22.04 image. But it seems even the newer OEM kernel is
  affected.

  A workaround is to select the older 5.15 kernel in grub. I find on
  this laptop, one must hit escape precisely 1 second after seeing the
  Dell logo on boot. Alternatively one could edit /etc/grub/default and
  set a longer timeout.

  Let me know if this bug report would be better to go to Dell as a
  support request instead.