Marking CONFIG_SCSI_VIRTIO=y enables initrd-less boot on generic kernel,
enabling any Ubuntu installation to be lifted from any hardware and
converted into a VM which will, even with corrupted initrd and missing
modules, be able to boot by default. This is an extremly useful property
to have on all ubuntu kernels. Separately, this also removes the need
for linux-kvm kernel flavour, as all the changes it has are now
incorporated into generic flavour & cloud-images.

  RFC: virtio and virtio-scsi should be built in

Status in linux package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged

Bug description:
  Hi,
  I was trying to verify bug 1677376 yesterday, and came to find out
  that our kernel does not have virtio or virtio-scsi builtin drivers.

  This generally has not been a problem as initramfs has been used.
  However, as there is recently an interest in booting without initramfs
  it would seem to make sense to have popular drivers builtin to -generic
  to allow that.

  Also, from a priority perspective, if we're going to have any block devices
  builtin to the -generic kernel, then i'd think that virtio and virtio-scsi
  would make more sense than an IDE driver.

  I understand there are tradeoffs involved.

  Related bugs:
   * bug 1677376: growing partitions does not work when booted without initramfs

  Package: linux-image-4.10.0-19-generic 4.10.0-19.21
  ProcVersionSignature: User Name 4.10.0-14.16-generic 4.10.3
  Uname: Linux 4.10.0-14-generic x86_64
  AlsaDevices:
   total 0
   crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116,  1 Apr 19 20:07 seq
   crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 33 Apr 19 20:07 timer
  AplayDevices: Error: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'aplay'
  ApportVersion: 2.20.4-0ubuntu4
  Architecture: amd64
  ArecordDevices: Error: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'arecord'
  AudioDevicesInUse: Error: command ['fuser', '-v', '/dev/snd/seq',
'/dev/snd/timer'] failed with exit code 1:
  CRDA: N/A
  Date: Thu Apr 20 19:37:23 2017
  Ec2AMI: ami-00000019
  Ec2AMIManifest: FIXME
  Ec2AvailabilityZone: nova
  Ec2InstanceType: m1.small
  Ec2Kernel: unavailable
  Ec2Ramdisk: unavailable
  IwConfig: Error: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'iwconfig'
  Lsusb: Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
  MachineType: OpenStack Foundation OpenStack Nova
  PciMultimedia:

  ProcEnviron:
   TERM=xterm-256color
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>
   LANG=en_US.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  ProcFB:

  ProcKernelCmdLine: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-4.10.0-14-generic
root=LABEL=cloudimg-rootfs ro console=tty1 console=ttyS0
  RelatedPackageVersions:
   linux-restricted-modules-4.10.0-14-generic N/A
   linux-backports-modules-4.10.0-14-generic  N/A
   linux-firmware                             N/A
  RfKill: Error: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'rfkill'
  SourcePackage: linux
  dmi.bios.date: 04/01/2014
  dmi.bios.vendor: SeaBIOS
  dmi.bios.version: 1.10.1-1ubuntu1~cloud0
  dmi.chassis.type: 1
  dmi.chassis.vendor: QEMU
  dmi.chassis.version: pc-i440fx-zesty
  dmi.modalias:
dmi:bvnSeaBIOS:bvr1.10.1-1ubuntu1~cloud0:bd04/01/2014:svnOpenStackFoundation:pnOpenStackNova:pvr15.0.2:cvnQEMU:ct1:cvrpc-i440fx-zesty:
  dmi.product.name: OpenStack Nova
  dmi.product.version: 15.0.2
  dmi.sys.vendor: OpenStack Foundation