This bug is awaiting verification that the linux-
hwe-5.15/5.15.0-74.81~20.04.2 kernel in -proposed solves the problem.
Please test the kernel and update this bug with the results. If the
problem is solved, change the tag 'verification-needed-focal' to
'verification-done-focal'. If the problem still exists, change the tag
'verification-needed-focal' to 'verification-failed-focal'.

If verification is not done by 5 working days from today, this fix will
be dropped from the source code, and this bug will be closed.

See https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Testing/EnableProposed for documentation how
to enable and use -proposed. Thank you!

** Tags added: kernel-spammed-focal-linux-hwe-5.15 verification-needed-focal

  support python < 3.9 with annotations

Status in linux source package in Jammy:
  Fix Committed
Status in linux source package in Lunar:
  Fix Committed
Status in linux source package in Mantic:

  At the moment we can't use the annotations scripts in focal, because
  we are using the'|=' update operator for merging dicts, that has been
  introduced with python 3.9.

  Rewrite the code that is using this operator in a more portable way
  and apply this change everywhere, so that annotations will work on any
  backport/derivative kernels.

  [Test case]

  Run `fakeroot debian/rules updateconfigs` in focal (using the new
  annotations model).

  [Fix]

  Try to use the '|=' operator in a try/except block, if it fails
  fallback to a more portable way.

  [Regression potential]

  With this change applied we may experience regressions during the
  updateconfigs phase.