** Package changed: usbview (Ubuntu) => linux (Ubuntu)

  USB Storage drive fails to mount

  Upon fresh installation of Ubuntu Hardy (8.04) Inserting a USB storage
  device causes it to mount automatically.

  After about 2 days and several reboots no USB storage devices can be
  mounted.

  The USB drive appears in the "Places" menu, but will not mount.

  An error dialog states: "Invalid mount option"

  I traced the problem to my /etc/fstab file:

  proc            /proc           proc    defaults        0       0
  # /dev/sdb1
  UUID=4bffd628-caac-4c1b-b55c-806a039d19bc /               ext3
relatime,errors=remount-ro 0       1
  # /dev/sdb5
  UUID=5c8e9f6a-b5ce-444a-bbe6-29325fa41d05 none            swap    sw
    0       0
  /dev/sdc1       /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0       0
  /dev/scd0       /media/cdrom1   udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0       0
  /dev/scd1       /media/cdrom2   udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0       0

  I have a backup of my /etc/fstab file from the fresh installed state:

  proc            /proc           proc    defaults        0       0
  # /dev/sdb1
  UUID=4bffd628-caac-4c1b-b55c-806a039d19bc /               ext3
relatime,errors=remount-ro 0       1
  # /dev/sdb5
  UUID=5c8e9f6a-b5ce-444a-bbe6-29325fa41d05 none            swap    sw
    0       0
  /dev/scd0       /media/cdrom1   udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0       0
  /dev/scd1       /media/cdrom2   udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0       0

  Note:
  The backed up fstab file does not contain the following line:
  /dev/sdc1       /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0       0

  This line was not added by me, and I have not installed any new
  packages or applications at or before the time of this problem.

  Commenting or removing this line from the fstab file fixes the problem
  and allows the USB drive to be mounted again.

  I suspect that leaving the usb drive plugged in and then rebooting
  caused the additional mounting instruction to be added to the fstab
  file upon boot.

  Workaround: Unmount and unplug any external usb drives BEFORE booting
  or re-booting Ubuntu.

  This exact issue has occurred with both my Laptop as well as my
  Desktop both running the same Ubuntu release (8.04)