This is fixed in v2.5, so Kinetic and above.

** Changed in: thermald (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: thermald (Ubuntu Jammy)

** Tags added: verification-needed verification-needed-jammy

Packages, which is subscribed to thermald in Ubuntu.

  thermald prematurely throttling GPU

Status in thermald package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in thermald source package in Jammy:

   * thermald prematurely throttling GPU

  [Fix]
  This fix is removed the code refactoring part and keep the necessary.

  (patch: 0009-Install-passive-default.patch)
  82609c7) Separate Adaptive engine and GDDV

  [Test Plan]
  Test1,
   * Run game on the target machine.
   * the FPS must not be significantly reduced.
  Test2,
   * Run on others platform, ADL/TGL/CML/CFL/KBL.
   * Use monitoring tool(e.g. s-tui) and stress-ng to verify if the machine
runs normally.

  [Where problems could occur]
   * better support for Passive Policy. currently passive policy 1 is supported
and it should have a bug if the machine only enable pssive policy 2.

  ~~~
  I got a new game and started playing it
  It would run at over 100 FPS solidly some of the time and then cyclically dip
down to below 20 FPS for a few minutes

  I determined that it was thermald trying to keep my GPU below 70°C
  to determine this I sudo systemctl stop thermald
  The game ran solidly and consistently with the GPU at 75°C

  This is well below the specs set by the manufacturer and perhaps
  unreasonably low for a laptop

  But more importantly I was given no indication this was happening. I
  had to sleuth it out myself.

  Perhaps it is impossible to determine good defaults for all hardware,
  I don't know. However without an indication that this is happening
  there will be a lot of people with a mysteriously broken experience.
  This was extremely difficult for me to find and I had several friend
  who are experts on linux gaming and video drivers trying to track this
  down. I discovered it by luck and perseverance.

  This absolutely needs some sort of indication and hopefully a way to
  remedy it from the GUI. ideally it would set thermal limits that are
  more in line with what the device is designed for and not a
  conservative default if at all possible.

  Package: thermald 2.4.9-1
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia_modeset nvidia
  ApportVersion: 2.20.11-0ubuntu82.1
  Architecture: amd64
  CasperMD5CheckResult: unknown
  CurrentDesktop: XFCE
  Date: Fri Jul  8 16:08:55 2022
  InstallationMedia: Xubuntu 20.04.1 LTS "Focal Fossa" - Release amd64
(20200731)
  SourcePackage: thermald
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to jammy on 2022-06-17 (20 days ago)