We suspect that on the affected systems the length of the kernel options
cmdline exceeds the allowed maximum. Would it be possible to share the
kernel options MAAS sends for machines that fail to deploy this way? The
kernel options could be retrieved using IPMI console.

** Changed in: maas

  No boot possible - Cannot open root device

Status in MAAS:

  MaaS cannot boot on my X11DPi-NT and will therefore fail to
  commission. It will instantly fail after grub.

  It will fail to boot saying that is not able to open root device. I
  even tried supplying the squashfs via python on a different port as
  the url is somehow cut off a bit, but to no avail. The python
  webserver doesn't even see any connection try.

  ( custom kernel params: root=squash:http://10.0.33.253:8080/squashfs
  python webserver: python3 -m http.server 8080)

  Steps to reproduce:

  1. Setup maas ;)
  2. Try to commision server
  3. See the kernel and initrd download fly by
  4. Boom kernel panic

  Hardware:
  Supermicro X11DPi-NT with UEFI http Networkboot enabled
  NIC: Intel X722