** Changed in: zfs

Packages, which is subscribed to zfs-linux in Ubuntu.

  zfs.8 man page snapshot listing instructions are confusing

Status in Native ZFS for Linux:
  Fix Released
Status in zfs-linux package in Ubuntu:

  The zfs.8 man page describes in 3 places how to include snapshots in
  "zfs list":

  1) Snapshots are displayed if the listsnaps property is on (the default is
off).
  2) Snapshots are displayed if the listsnaps property is on.  The default is
off.  See zpool(8) for more information on pool properties.
  3) For example, specifying -t snapshot displays only snapshots.

  The first of these has twice now (I'm just learning zfs) sent me down
  a rabbit hole, looking for a zfs dataset property "listsnaps".  There
  is no such property (of datasets).

  I'm on version 0.8.3 of zfsutils-linux that has this man page, but
  when I look at https://zfsonlinux.org/manpages/0.8.6/man8/zfs.8.html
  it seems that the above is still true in 0.8.6

  Suggestion, to help us newbies reduce our learning time to list
  snapshots:

  Change both of the first 2 of the above 3 places in zfs.8 to:
  "
  "zfs list" displays snapshots only if either the "listsnapshots" property of
the underlying zpool is on, or if the "zfs list -t snapshot" option is
specified.

  Extra Credit:

  Just now it seems to me that the following command does _NOT_ list
  snapshots, on a dataset that has some snapshots ... so the zfs.8
  documentation that the "zfs list -t type" can be a "comma-separated
  list of types to display" seems incorrect:

  zfs list -t filesystem,snapshot myzfsdataset

  Whether this "Extra Credit" discrepancy is a bug in the documentation,
  or in the zfs command code, or newbie operator error, I'll leave as an
  exercise to the reader <grin>.

  Package: zfsutils-linux 0.8.3-1ubuntu12.5
  NonfreeKernelModules: zfs zunicode zavl icp zcommon znvpair nvidia_modeset
nvidia
  ApportVersion: 2.20.11-0ubuntu27.14
  Architecture: amd64
  CasperMD5CheckResult: skip