JFYI.

All that you need to properly backport this series is:

1. port
https://github.com/torvalds/linux/commit/ce0d5bd3a6c176f9a3bf867624a07119dd4d0878
(as this patch changes cephfs network protocol and have to be applied before
cephfs idmapped mounts as in this feature we are extending cephfs network
protocol too)

2. apply patches from
https://lore.kernel.org/all/20230807132626.182101-1-aleksandr.mikhalit...@canonical.com/
(alternatively you can take patches from
https://github.com/ceph/ceph-client/commits/testing
starting from commit
https://github.com/ceph/ceph-client/commit/6efd3e9974a02bda26e039ce81a3824db3cee74f
until
https://github.com/ceph/ceph-client/commit/5a077938dadefa2b159267718d7998ca880aeb9c
 )

As I can see here https://git.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-
kernel/ubuntu/+source/linux/+git/mantic/commit/fs/ceph?h=master-
next&id=e5e9604b7311bda41ffe266dbd60cf1eb637611b you have also
backported fscrypt series.  It's not a strict requirement or dependency.

  ceph: support idmapped mounts

Status in linux source package in Mantic:

  Now that zfs supports idmapped mounts the only user of shiftfs remains
  ceph.

  However a patch set has been posted upstream to enable such feature also in
ceph:

https://lore.kernel.org/all/20230807132626.182101-1-aleksandr.mikhalit...@canonical.com/

  This is also maintained in this github repository:
  https://github.com/ceph/ceph-client.git

  Include this patch in our mantic kernel, so that the LXD team can do
  some testing to see if we can get rid of shiftfs and rely completely
  on upstream idmapped mounts.

  [Test case]

  Create an LXD container using a ceph backend, disable shiftfs and
  verify if everything is still working (LXD team will provide a proper
  test case for this).

  [Fix]

  Apply idmapped mounts patch set from:
  https://github.com/ceph/ceph-client.git

  [Regression potential]

  This patch set is still not upstream and still experimental, therefore
  we may experience regression or system crashes in systems that are
  using the ceph filesystem.