This bug is missing log files that will aid in diagnosing the problem.
While running an Ubuntu kernel (not a mainline or third-party kernel)
please enter the following command in a terminal window:

apport-collect 2038567

and then change the status of the bug to 'Confirmed'.

If, due to the nature of the issue you have encountered, you are unable
to run this command, please add a comment stating that fact and change
the bug status to 'Confirmed'.

This change has been made by an automated script, maintained by the
Ubuntu Kernel Team.

** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu)

  Mantic 6.5.0-7 kernel causes regression in LXD container usage

Status in Release Notes for Ubuntu:

  Following upgrade to 6.5.0-7 kernel in mantic cloud images we are
  seeing a regression in our cloud image tests. The test runs the
  following:

  ```
  lxd init --auto --storage-backend dir
  lxc launch ubuntu-daily:mantic mantic
  lxc info mantic
  lxc exec mantic -- cloud-init status --wait
  ```

  The `lxc exec mantic -- cloud-init status --wait` times out after 240s
  and will fail our test as a result.

  I have been able to replicate in a local VM

  ```
  wget
http://cloud-images.ubuntu.com/mantic/20231005/mantic-server-cloudimg-amd64.img
  wget --output-document=launch-qcow2-image-qemu.sh
https://gist.githubusercontent.com/philroche/14c241c086a5730481e24178b654268f/raw/7af95cd4dfc8e1d0600e6118803d2c866765714e/gistfile1.txt

  chmod +x launch-qcow2-image-qemu.sh

  ./launch-qcow2-image-qemu.sh --password passw0rd --image
./mantic-server-cloudimg-amd64.img
  cat <<EOF > "./reproducer.sh"
  #!/bin/bash -eux
  lxd init --auto --storage-backend dir
  lxc launch ubuntu-daily:mantic mantic
  lxc info mantic
  lxc exec mantic -- cloud-init status --wait
  EOF
  chmod +x ./reproducer.sh
  sshpass -p passw0rd scp -o UserKnownHostsFile=/dev/null -o CheckHostIP=no -o
StrictHostKeyChecking=no -P 2222 ./reproducer.sh ubuntu@127.0.0.1:~/
  sshpass -p passw0rd ssh -o UserKnownHostsFile=/dev/null -o CheckHostIP=no -o
StrictHostKeyChecking=no -p 2222 ubuntu@127.0.0.1 sudo apt-get update
  sshpass -p passw0rd ssh -o UserKnownHostsFile=/dev/null -o CheckHostIP=no -o
StrictHostKeyChecking=no -p 2222 ubuntu@127.0.0.1 sudo apt-get upgrade
--assume-yes
  sshpass -p passw0rd ssh -o UserKnownHostsFile=/dev/null -o CheckHostIP=no -o
StrictHostKeyChecking=no -p 2222 ubuntu@127.0.0.1 ./reproducer.sh
  ```

  The issue is not present with the 6.5.0-5 kernel and the issue is
  present regardless of the container launched. I tried the jammy
  container to test this.

  From my test VM

  ```
  ubuntu@cloudimg:~$ uname --all
  Linux cloudimg 6.5.0-7-generic #7-Ubuntu SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Fri Sep 29
09:14:56 UTC 2023 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
  ubuntu@cloudimg:~$ uname --kernel-release
  6.5.0-7-generic
  ```

  This is a regression in our test that will block 23.10 cloud image
  release next week.