** Also affects: linux (Ubuntu Trusty)

** Also affects: linux (Ubuntu Bionic)

** Also affects: linux (Ubuntu Xenial)

  Missing BTF file in Ubuntu ESM kernels

Status in linux source package in Trusty:
  New
Status in linux source package in Xenial:
  New
Status in linux source package in Bionic:

  This is a follow-up from: https://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/ask-us-
  anything-about-ubuntu-kernels/27664/142

  Older Ubuntu distributions come with a kernel image that support eBPF
  but are not built with a BTF file published (/sys/kernel/btf/vmlinux).
  This BTF file is crucial when trying to run eBPF programs that were
  built with CO-RE in mind such that a program can be compiled once and
  run in any kernel (with some caveats) because the BPF loaders can use
  the BTF file to relocate addresses of kernel fields at load time for
  the currently running kernel. In the past I've used the debug symbols
  that Ubuntu publishes to create BTF files using `pahole` for these
  older kernels and then re-using that BTF file for any machine running
  that kernel. This is not ideal but I had managed to work around it.

  However, on distributions that are under ESM (Ubuntu 16 + Ubuntu 18)
  there isn't a debug symbols repository from where to pull the debug
  symbols packages to build their respective BTF file and no BTF file is
  generated when the kernel is built. This essentially makes these ESM
  kernels incompatible with eBPF programs that run using CO-RE (which is
  more or less the norm nowadays). Based on my conversation on the
  discourse link above it seems like ideally these ESM kernels should be
  published with a BTF file.

  P.S. I wasn't able to submit this through `ubuntu-bug linux` as it
  gave me an error saying `Problem in linux-image-4.15.0-218-generic
  This is not an official Ubuntu package. Please remove any third party
  package and try again`. I am not sure why it says that as this is a
  Ubuntu VM downloaded from the Ubuntu site, upgraded by doing `pro
  attach` and then updated to the latest ESM kernel.

  ---
  ProblemType: Bug
  ApportVersion: 2.20.9-0ubuntu7.29
  Architecture: amd64
  AudioDevicesInUse: Error: command ['fuser', '-v', '/dev/snd/seq',
'/dev/snd/timer'] failed with exit code 1:
  CRDA: Error: command ['iw', 'reg', 'get'] failed with exit code 1: nl80211
not found.
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 18.04.5 LTS "Bionic Beaver" - Release amd64
(20200806.1)
  Lsusb:
   Bus 002 Device 004: ID 0e0f:0008 VMware, Inc.
   Bus 002 Device 003: ID 0e0f:0002 VMware, Inc. Virtual USB Hub
   Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0e0f:0003 VMware, Inc. Virtual Mouse
   Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
  MachineType: VMware, Inc. VMware Virtual Platform
  Package: linux (not installed)
  ProcEnviron:
   TERM=xterm-256color
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>
   LANG=en_US.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  ProcFB:

  ProcKernelCmdLine: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-4.15.0-218-generic
root=UUID=c6dbf1d0-3a95-4d98-a0f8-fdea28a5ffc9 ro find_preseed=/preseed.cfg
auto noprompt priority=critical locale=en_US quiet
  RelatedPackageVersions:
   linux-restricted-modules-4.15.0-218-generic N/A
   linux-backports-modules-4.15.0-218-generic  N/A
   linux-firmware                              1.173.21
  RfKill:

  Tags:  bionic
  UserGroups: adm cdrom dip docker kvm libvirt lpadmin plugdev sambashare sudo
  _MarkForUpload: True
  dmi.bios.date: 11/12/2020
  dmi.bios.vendor: Phoenix Technologies LTD
  dmi.bios.version: 6.00
  dmi.board.name: 440BX Desktop Reference Platform
  dmi.board.vendor: Intel Corporation
  dmi.board.version: None
  dmi.chassis.asset.tag: No Asset Tag
  dmi.chassis.type: 1
  dmi.chassis.vendor: No Enclosure
  dmi.chassis.version: N/A
  dmi.modalias:
dmi:bvnPhoenixTechnologiesLTD:bvr6.00:bd11/12/2020:svnVMware,Inc.:pnVMwareVirtualPlatform:pvrNone:rvnIntelCorporation:rn440BXDesktopReferencePlatform:rvrNone:cvnNoEnclosure:ct1:cvrN/A:
  dmi.product.name: VMware Virtual Platform
  dmi.product.version: None
  dmi.sys.vendor: VMware, Inc.