I'm having the same problem after updating to version 1.7. My desktop
freezes before boot with a RX7900XT

Packages, which is subscribed to linux-firmware in Ubuntu.

  Linux firmware 1.7 prevents system with AMD 7900XT from booting

Status in linux-firmware package in Ubuntu:

  I just upgraded my System76 Thelio running 23.04 with a Navi 31
  [Radeon RX 7900 XT/7900 XTX] GPU.  It seems this update causes my
  displays to freeze very early in the boot process. I see some basic
  messages and then some screen corruption and that is where the screen
  remains.

  I was able to ssh into it from another machine and downgrade the
  linux-firmware package to 1.6 which fixed the display freeze problem.

  The problem package is

  20230323.gitbcdcfbcf-0ubuntu1.7

  Reverting to

  20230323.gitbcdcfbcf-0ubuntu1.6