Running "suspend" from the activity menu also causes the bad event (same
as lid close/open)

  After upgrade 20.04 LTS -> 23.10, closing laptop lid causes all GUI
  apps to be quit

  I have a brand new Lenovo ThinkPad T14 (AMD) Gen 3 with touchscreen. I
  was told this is a good laptop for Linux and Lenovo says it is
  "certified" on Ubuntu 20.04.

  Yesterday I installed Ubuntu 22.04 LTS off a USB stick. It worked
  pretty well. Later in the day I decided to upgrade to a newer Ubuntu
  and installed Ubuntu 23.10 off a USB stick (I did not upgrade, I told
  it to delete the partition and create a new one). This has had a
  couple new, serious problems (see also
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-settings-
  daemon/+bug/2039722 ).

  With 23.10 I am seeing a behavior where if I close the lid, wait for
  the red light on the Thinkpad logo to begin blinking to indicate it is
  in sleep, then open the lid, it asks me to log in, and when I log in I
  am looking at a new, blank desktop session. All my apps have been
  quit. I see this behavior both when I am plugged into power and when I
  am not plugged into power. I am 95% certain I did not see this
  yesterday in 22.04 LTS. I closed and reopened the laptop multiple
  times.

  I have made fumbling attempts to fix this myself but because this is a
  common laptop, Lenovo-certified with Ubuntu, with default settings,
  and I *THINK* it is a regression (seemed to work with 22.04 LTS?) I
  think it should work out of the box.

  MY FUMBLING ATTEMPTS TO FIX THIS MYSELF

  I learned Linux on servers and before the systemd era. I do not
  currently know how to find out: - Where is there a log of which
  applications have crashed, and when? - Where is there a log of
  reboots? On Windows there is an "event viewer" which tells you the
  last reboot (and whether it was caused by a power event, the OS or
  user requesting the reboot, or what). At the moment I don't know in
  Linux if it is trying to hibernate and failing, intentionally powering
  down, or if it is correctly hibernating and waking but at some step a
  critical software (like the wayland server) is dying. I am happy to
  gather any information needed.

  The Arch wiki, which in my experience is often a good source of
  general Linux information, has a page on this device
  https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Lenovo_ThinkPad_T14_(AMD)_Gen_3
  containing the suspicious line:

  "According to Lenovo staff the CPU generation in this device only
  supports s2idle and not S3 sleep."

  They recommend running: $ cat /sys/power/mem_sleep to see what suspend
  methods are "advertised". This file contains only the line "[s2idle]".
  The arch wiki says that "shallow" or "deep" should be next to s2idle
  and I want to pick one of them. But I don't see either of those so I
  don't know how to proceed. Google searching seems to imply that this
  is about hibernating vs going into some special mode. Arch wiki also
  says:

  "If you run system firmware version 0.1.17 do not set the suspend mode
  in UEFI setup to Linux (S3). This sleep mode is not supported by the
  CPU. If you set S3 mode and upgrade the system firmware you need to do
  a downgrade to 0.1.17 to change it back, because the option is removed
  in newer firmware. If you set S3 mode nevertheless and try to suspend
  to mem/S3 mode the system will crash and you need to reset it by
  holding the power button for a few seconds."

  I have not yet explored this in the pre-OS UEFI settings but will try
  that after filing this bug.

  Package: linux-image-6.5.0-9-generic 6.5.0-9.9
  ApportVersion: 2.27.0-0ubuntu5
  Architecture: amd64
  CRDA: N/A
  CasperMD5CheckResult: unknown
  CloudArchitecture: x86_64
  CloudID: none
  CloudName: none
  CloudPlatform: none
  CloudSubPlatform: config
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
  Date: Wed Oct 18 15:08:29 2023
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 23.10.1 "Mantic Minotaur" - Release amd64
(20231016.1)
  MachineType: {report['dmi.sys.vendor']} {report['dmi.product.name']}
  ProcEnviron:
   LANG=en_US.UTF-8
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   SHELL=/bin/bash
   TERM=xterm-256color
   XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>
  ProcFB: 0 amdgpudrmfb
  ProcKernelCmdLine: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-6.5.0-9-generic
root=UUID=ecb1730b-cbe1-457c-a4f8-23e2eaf89020 ro quiet splash vt.handoff=7
  RelatedPackageVersions:
   linux-restricted-modules-6.5.0-9-generic N/A
   linux-backports-modules-6.5.0-9-generic  N/A
   linux-firmware                           20230919.git3672ccab-0ubuntu2.1
  SourcePackage: linux
  dmi.bios.date: 08/08/2023
  dmi.bios.release: 1.40
  dmi.bios.vendor: LENOVO
  dmi.bios.version: R23ET70W (1.40 )
  dmi.board.asset.tag: Not Available
  dmi.board.name: 21CF000CUS
  dmi.board.vendor: LENOVO
  dmi.board.version: SDK0T76538 WIN
  dmi.chassis.asset.tag: No Asset Information
  dmi.chassis.type: 10
  dmi.chassis.vendor: LENOVO
  dmi.chassis.version: None
  dmi.ec.firmware.release: 1.30
  dmi.modalias:
dmi:bvnLENOVO:bvrR23ET70W(1.40):bd08/08/2023:br1.40:efr1.30:svnLENOVO:pn21CF000CUS:pvrThinkPadT14Gen3:rvnLENOVO:rn21CF000CUS:rvrSDK0T76538WIN:cvnLENOVO:ct10:cvrNone:skuLENOVO_MT_21CF_BU_Think_FM_ThinkPadT14Gen3:
  dmi.product.family: ThinkPad T14 Gen 3
  dmi.product.name: 21CF000CUS
  dmi.product.sku: LENOVO_MT_21CF_BU_Think_FM_ThinkPad T14 Gen 3
  dmi.product.version: ThinkPad T14 Gen 3
  dmi.sys.vendor: LENOVO