This bug is awaiting verification that the linux-
aws-6.5/6.5.0-1008.8~22.04.1 kernel in -proposed solves the problem.
Please test the kernel and update this bug with the results. If the
problem is solved, change the tag 'verification-needed-jammy-linux-
aws-6.5' to 'verification-done-jammy-linux-aws-6.5'. If the problem
still exists, change the tag 'verification-needed-jammy-linux-aws-6.5'
to 'verification-failed-jammy-linux-aws-6.5'.

If verification is not done by 5 working days from today, this fix will
be dropped from the source code, and this bug will be closed.

See https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Testing/EnableProposed for documentation how
to enable and use -proposed. Thank you!

** Tags added: kernel-spammed-jammy-linux-aws-6.5-v2
verification-needed-jammy-linux-aws-6.5

  Kernel 6.1 bumped the disk consumption on default images by 15%

Status in linux source package in Lunar:
  Fix Released
Status in linux source package in Mantic:

  After enabling Rust support in the kernel we noticed an increased size
  in linux-headers, because all the Rust libraries required to build
  out-of-tree  kernel modules are now included in linux-headers
  directly.

  The increased size goes from ~30MB to ~100MB.

  This extra size is not worth it, considering the small amount of users
  that are going to experiment Rust in the kernel at the moment.

  [Test case]

  Install linux-headers and check the size of /usr/src/linux-
  headers-`uname -r`.

  [Fix]

  Some work has already done to reduce the size of linux-headers by
  dropping some binary artifacts (*.o and *.cmd) that are not required
  to build out-of-tree kernel modules.

  Ideally it'd be nicer to provide a separate package (called for
  example linux-lib-rust-`uname -r`) to ship the Rust-specific
  dependencies (libraries / headers).

  In this way linux-headers would be restored back to the original size,
  those that want to experiment Rust in the kernel can simply install
  linux-lib-rust and we can prevent wasting space in the cloud images.

  [Regression potential]

  Introducing a new package in the kernel may break something in our
  kernel promotion workflow, so with this change applied we need to pay
  a little more attention when the kernel is going to be promoted to
  release/updates.

  [Original bug report]

  Hi,
  in the regular monitoring of metrics there was a bump in disk size last week.
  The default image once installed consumes now 994 (formerly 859) megabytes.

  Looking at the consumers there was much noise, but the biggest change
  was

  linux-headers-5.19.0-1008-kvm 25197 -> linux-headers-6.2.0-1002-kvm 108072
  linux-modules-5.19.0-1008-kvm 76090 -> linux-modules-6.2.0-1002-kvm 97221

  I haven't looked deeper yet. Is that an accident and will be fixed
  soon, is that a change we can do nothing about, anything in between?