FWIW, I switched back to ext4 and am no longer experiencing the same
issues.

Packages, which is subscribed to linux-signed-hwe-5.19 in Ubuntu.

  zfs with encryption: sluggish resume from suspend, intermittent
  freezes

Status in linux-signed-hwe-5.19 package in Ubuntu:

  I had been using Jammy on a Thinkpad T470 for months without problems.

  I decided to try a fresh Ubuntu Desktop install using ZFS, using the
  install-time option for full-disk encryption.

  After using the fresh install for a little while, I noticed that the
  system was "more sluggish" in the ZFS configuration (which was
  disappointing, but tolerable).

  The "sluggishness" is especially noticeable when resuming from
  suspend. Typically, I'll look at the system clock and notice that it
  does not change for ~tens of seconds. On some occasions, it will
  freeze completely (even after waiting many minutes) and require a
  reboot.

  Given that this the only difference between a "perfectly working
  system" and "problematic system" was the filesystem change, I strongly
  suspect ZFS as the cause (and/or perhaps enabling the full-disk
  encryption option for it during the install).

  Any advice on how to further triage this and narrow down the issue
  would be appreciated.

  Package: linux-image-5.19.0-46-generic 5.19.0-46.47~22.04.1
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 5.19.0-46.47~22.04.1-generic 5.19.17
  Uname: Linux 5.19.0-46-generic x86_64
  NonfreeKernelModules: zfs zunicode zavl icp zcommon znvpair
  ApportVersion: 2.20.11-0ubuntu82.5
  Architecture: amd64
  CasperMD5CheckResult: pass
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
  Date: Wed Jul 19 10:03:03 2023
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS "Jammy Jellyfish" - Release amd64
(20230223)
  ProcEnviron:
   TERM=xterm-256color
   PATH=(custom, no user)