** Also affects: linux (Ubuntu)

  Memory leak in 23.10 kernel (6.5.0-10)

Status in linux-meta package in Ubuntu:

  There appears to be a memory 'leak' in the kernel of the latest Ubuntu release
  (Mantic Minotaur, kernel version 6.5.0-10).  I put 'leak' in quotes because
this
  memory appears to be allocated but never used.  The kernel's memory
over-commit
  mechanism seems to prevent this leak from manifesting in OOM killer triggers
or
  other failures.

  The primary symptom is a steady increase in the value reported as
'Committed_AS'
  in '/proc/meminfo'.  The other memory stats reported there remain reasonable,
  though.

  I've observed this problem on a fairly diverse set of machines (both VMs and
  physical machines) with a variety of workloads.  Busier machines seem to have
  faster leak rate.  I've tried to narrow down the issue by rebooting into
single
  user mode, killing all userspace processes (except the systemd processes) and
  removing as many kernel models as possible.  The problem continues in that
  state.  I didn't see any obvious culprits in /proc/slabinfo nor
  /proc/vmallocinfo.

  So far, the only way I've been able to remediate this issue is to reboot back
  into the Lunar Lobster kernel (6.2.0-35).  I think this fact alone rules out
any
  triggers that may be part of the 23.10 userspace environment.

  I've attached the generic debug info requested by this component's bug
template
  from an example machine. Please let me know if there is any more information I
  can provide.  It seems to be pretty trivial to reproduce though, and I'm
  guessing it has not been reported yet because the leak doesn't actually
manifest
  in an out-of-memory situation.  At least, I haven't observed that yet.  The
  worst case I've observed was 150 GB of memory committed on a machine with 16
GB
  of physical RAM after about 24 hours.  Moving back to the previous kernel
  version, the committed memory statistic holds fairly steady around 7 GB on
that
  machine and workload.