Public bug reported:

This has been an issue for a long time on a Laptop with Ubuntu 22.04 or
prior:

1. Headphones are inserted in the audio out port
2. External audio such as HDMI out is selected
etc.

If the computer is restarted or the session goes to a lock screen, the
audio output is changed to the internal speakers. This is highly
impractical.

For example if a video, or music is playing and the output is directed
to a HDMI out or let's say headphones and if the desktop goes to the
lock screen suddenly the whole building will hear the noise coming out
of the laptop speaker.

What I expect is that if I have headphones connected directly to an
audio out port the sound will be redirected to the headphones.

The audio out settings should be applied for the whole system or at
least respected on the login window.

This needs to be fixed for Ubuntu (Linux) to be a viable desktop option.
The UI to select the audio needs to be simple, clear and consistent with
other operating systems.

** Tags: audio

** Description changed:

+
+ This needs to be fixed for Ubuntu (Linux) to be a viable desktop option.
+ The UI to select the audio needs to be simple, clear and consistent with
+ other operating systems.

  Currently selected audio output is not respected if the desktop on the
  locksreen/on log out