Exactly 3900 bytes long? That sure is strange. Do you think I would be
able to reproduce if I set up a smb1.0 mount, make a bunch of text files
with random content, take their sha256 checksums, copy to the smb1.0
share, then re-compute the sha256 checksums to see if they match?

I would probably be able to bisect kernel commits if it reproduced most
of the time.

** Also affects: linux (Ubuntu)

** No longer affects: linux-hwe-6.5 (Ubuntu)

** Also affects: linux (Ubuntu Mantic)

  SMB 1 broken in kernel 6.5.0.14.14~22.04.7

Status in linux source package in Mantic:

  Hi all:

  I upgraded my Ubuntu yesterday and automatically got the newer Linux
  Kernel version 6.5.0-14-generic #14~22.04.1-Ubuntu. Previously, I was
  running kernel version 6.2 .

  I still have a legacy system on the network using SMB protocol version
  1.0.

  With the new kernel version, copying files does not work reliably
  anymore. Some random byte blocks in the destination files are
  overwritten with binary zeros. It happens quite often.

  This is not the first time the Linux guys temporarily break SMB protocol
version 1.0, see for example this bug report of mine:

  I checked package linux-image-generic-hwe-22.04 with Synaptic, and now it
lists just 2 versions:
    6.5.0.14.14~22.04.7 (jammy-updates)
    5.15.0.25.27 (jammy)
  Is there a way to go back to the latest 6.2 kernel version?

  How do I prevent Ubuntu from upgrading to 6.5 next time around? I have
searched the Internet, but I haven't
  found yet a usable answer. I don't want to go back all the way to Kernel 5.15
if I can avoid it.

  Thanks in advance,
    rdiez