Just wanted to say, this is still happening regularly to me.  I can work
around it if I remember to put the system in suspend rather than simply
locking the screen, but if I lock the screen and walk away for too long,
the system is locked up aside from the alt-sysrq keys.  I have a system
where I can readily reproduce the issue and am happy to work with devs
re: testing or possible fixes; would love to get this fixed before noble
goes out the door.

  On Noble, system is locking up when attempting to log back in after
  being away for a few minutes

  Context: On my laptop, connected to battery power, if I lock the
  screen and come back sometime later (likely after the 10 minute
  "screen blank" threshold I have set in Gnome), I find that it does not
  come back up properly.

  * I have 3 monitors (2 external and one built-in), and when I move my mouse
to wake up my machine, only the wallpaper on the built-in display seems to come
back.
  * I get no login prompt.
  * I have no visible mouse cursor, and pressing Num Lock on my keyboard
doesn't toggle any lights on the keyboard.
  * Ctrl-Alt-F1, -F2, etc., do not work.
  * The only way I know to get out of this is to either hard-reboot the machine
or use the Alt-SysRq keys (e.g. the "reisub" combination).
  * /var/log/syslog and kern.log do show a general protection fault.  Actually,
3 of them.  (I had at least 3 lockups yesterday.)  I've attached one as
general_protection_fault.txt here; hopefully "ubuntu-bug linux" could capture
the others if they are helpful.

  Additional context in case it is helpful:

  * I recently upgraded from Mantic to Noble for the purpose of
  dogfooding prior to formal release.  I had some problems on Mantic
  with stability which had similar crashes, but they were more
  intermittent and did not generate the protection faults in syslog.
  Since upgrading to Noble, the lockups have changed from intermittent
  to predictable, i.e. if I lock my screen and walk away for at least 10
  minutes, I fully expect to have to reboot my machine.

  I am running the 2013 model of the ASUS ROG M16 Zephyrus.  It does use
  Nvidia Optimus, and while I suspect the problems I was encountering on
  Mantic were perhaps due to Nvidia driver bugs, the issues in Noble do
  appear to be different since the crashes are more consistent and
  appear to also generate the general protection fault errors in syslog.
  (I explain this since without this nuance, it may be easy to just
  suspect the nvidia driver is causing the problem.)

  Hopefully this helps; let me know if there's anything else I can
  provide to assist with this bug.

  Best Regards,
  Paul Goins

  Package: linux-image-6.8.0-11-generic 6.8.0-11.11
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 6.8.0-11.11-generic 6.8.0-rc4
  Uname: Linux 6.8.0-11-generic x86_64
  NonfreeKernelModules: zfs nvidia_modeset nvidia
  ApportVersion: 2.28.0-0ubuntu1
  Architecture: amd64
  CRDA: N/A
  CasperMD5CheckResult: pass
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
  Date: Wed Mar 13 08:30:23 2024
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS "Jammy Jellyfish" - Release amd64
(20230807.2)
  MachineType: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. ROG Zephyrus M16 GU604VI_GU604VI
  ProcEnviron:
   LANG=en_US.UTF-8
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   SHELL=/bin/bash
   TERM=xterm-256color
   XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>
  ProcFB: 0 i915drmfb
  ProcKernelCmdLine: BOOT_IMAGE=/vmlinuz-6.8.0-11-generic
root=UUID=c8e79db4-8ec5-4855-89b4-aea8fb2c5b8c ro quiet splash vt.handoff=7
  RelatedPackageVersions:
   linux-restricted-modules-6.8.0-11-generic N/A
   linux-backports-modules-6.8.0-11-generic  N/A
   linux-firmware                            20240202.git36777504-0ubuntu1
  SourcePackage: linux
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to noble on 2024-03-07 (6 days ago)
  dmi.bios.date: 09/07/2023
  dmi.bios.release: 5.27
  dmi.bios.vendor: American Megatrends International, LLC.
  dmi.bios.version: GU604VI.312
  dmi.board.asset.tag: ATN12345678901234567
  dmi.board.name: GU604VI
  dmi.board.vendor: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
  dmi.board.version: 1.0
  dmi.chassis.asset.tag: No Asset Tag
  dmi.chassis.type: 10
  dmi.chassis.vendor: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
  dmi.chassis.version: 1.0
  dmi.ec.firmware.release: 0.68
  dmi.modalias:
dmi:bvnAmericanMegatrendsInternational,LLC.:bvrGU604VI.312:bd09/07/2023:br5.27:efr0.68:svnASUSTeKCOMPUTERINC.:pnROGZephyrusM16GU604VI_GU604VI:pvr1.0:rvnASUSTeKCOMPUTERINC.:rnGU604VI:rvr1.0:cvnASUSTeKCOMPUTERINC.:ct10:cvr1.0:sku:
  dmi.product.family: ROG Zephyrus M16
  dmi.product.name: ROG Zephyrus M16 GU604VI_GU604VI
  dmi.product.version: 1.0
  dmi.sys.vendor: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.