** Summary changed:

- Make fips-check script aware of commit reverts
+ Drop fips-check script from trees

** Description changed:

  [Impact]

  When producing a new version of some kernels, we need to check for
  changes that might affect FIPS certs and justify why a commit was kept.
+ For that, we have a fips-check script that lives under debian/ in Focal,
+ Jammy, Mantic and Noble.

- Currently there is a fips-check script that complains whenever a commit
- with crypto-related changes is found without any justification. However,
- this script does not account for cases where these commits are reverted
- and will fail even in these cases.
+ This script has been moved to `cranky`[1], so now there is no need to
+ have this script in the kernel Git trees as well.
+
+ [1] https://git.launchpad.net/~canonical-kernel/+git/kteam-
+ tools/commit/?id=2ab9364d4b4c18bee7d835787d7dd11990103bca

  [Fix]

- After finding the commits that touch crypto source, also look for
- commits that revert them.
+ Remove the fips-check script and its calls.

  [Test Plan]

- Take a Jammy FIPS kernel from the 2024.02.05 cycle, which introduces two
- commits that touch crypto source. Revert those commits (and do not
- forget to follow the convention of adding `UBUNTU: SAUCE` to the commit
- subject). Proceed to prepare the kernel, and at the `cranky close` step,
- confirm that it can be run without any errors.
+ Prepare a kernel and ensure that the `cranky close` step runs without
+ any errors.

  [Where problems could occur]

- This only affects the preparation of FIPS kernels and not the kernel
- final binary.
+ This only affects the preparation of FIPS kernels and not the kernel final
binary. Moreover, I've prepared some FIPS kernels from the 2024.03.04 cycle
relying on `cranky check-fips` to ensure that
+ we have it working well on the cranky side too.

  Drop fips-check script from trees

Status in linux package in Ubuntu:
  In Progress
Status in linux source package in Jammy:
  In Progress
Status in linux source package in Noble:
  In Progress