File this one down to a case of impatience. It turns out it does work
(eventually) on both kernels I ran. It seems to take a bit longer on the
current one, but it does eventually enter hybrid sleep. What's
confusing, and I might file a seperate bug for, is that the screen
initially blanks, then comes back - but the user is not able to interact
with the system - it appears frozen. This lasts long enough that more
impatient types like myself may be tempted to hard power off their
system.

** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu)

  Lenovo IdeaPad Yoga 13 - pm-suspend-hybrid causes system to crash

Status in “linux” package in Ubuntu:

  When I try running:

  sudo pm-suspend-hybrid, it simply freezes. The whole system is
  unresponsive. This is a pretty new 'Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3537U CPU @
  2.00GHz' so I would have thought it was supported, but even if not, it
  should not crash.

  It seems it is supported though. /sys/power/disk contains sleep as a
supported state.
  ---
  ApportVersion: 2.13.3-0ubuntu1
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: Unity
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 13.10 "Saucy Salamander" - Release amd64
(20131016.1)
  Package: linux (not installed)
  Tags:  trusty
  Uname: Linux 3.13.0-031300rc2-generic x86_64
  UnreportableReason: The running kernel is not an Ubuntu kernel
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to trusty on 2014-03-28 (7 days ago)
  UserGroups: adm autopilot cdrom dip libvirtd lpadmin plugdev sambashare sudo
  _MarkForUpload: True