The bug task for the somerville project has been removed by an automated
script.  This bug has been cloned on that project and is available here:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1305910

** No longer affects: somerville

  [Intrepid] Losing keyboard and mouse control when changing screen
  brightness with fn + arrow (Dell)

Status in Gnome Powermanager:
  Invalid
Status in Release Notes for Ubuntu:
  New
Status in “acpid” package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in “gnome-power-manager” package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in “linux” package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in “xserver-xorg-input-evdev” package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in “acpid” source package in Intrepid:
  Invalid
Status in “gnome-power-manager” source package in Intrepid:
  Invalid
Status in “linux” source package in Intrepid:
  Triaged
Status in “xserver-xorg-input-evdev” source package in Intrepid:

  On my Dell inspiron 9300 laptop under intrepid (hardy did not have
  this problem), when I type FN + Arrow keys to change the screen
  brightness, Most of mouse and keyboard keys stop working.

  For an example : I can't type any text anywhere, ALT + F4 does not
  close any window, mouse clicks "partially" opens the gnome-panel
  menus, isn't able to close windows with the right-top x, but mouse
  click is still able to move a window..

  screencast :
  http://upload.leservicetechnique.com/bugs/mouse_keyboard_acpid.ogv

  This bug is reproducible under both metacity and compiz, and not
  caused by a BIOS password.

  A quick workaround to bring back things to normal is to switch to a VT
  and go back to Xorg with CTRL + ALT + F6 and CTRL + ALT + F7

  When changing screen brightness, I get this in Xorg.0.log :

  (II) AIGLX: Suspending AIGLX clients for VT switch
  (II) Open ACPI successful (/var/run/acpid.socket)
  (II) AIGLX: Resuming AIGLX clients after VT switch
  (II) AlpsPS/2 ALPS GlidePoint: x-axis range 0 - 1023
  (II) AlpsPS/2 ALPS GlidePoint: y-axis range 0 - 767
  (--) AlpsPS/2 ALPS GlidePoint touchpad found
  (II) Macintosh mouse button emulation: Device reopened after 10 attempts.
  (**) Macintosh mouse button emulation: YAxisMapping: buttons 4 and 5
  (**) Macintosh mouse button emulation: EmulateWheelButton: 4,
EmulateWheelInertia: 10, EmulateWheelTimeout: 200
  (II) PS/2 Mouse: Device reopened after 10 attempts.
  (**) PS/2 Mouse: YAxisMapping: buttons 4 and 5
  (**) PS/2 Mouse: EmulateWheelButton: 4, EmulateWheelInertia: 10,
EmulateWheelTimeout: 200
  (II) AT Translated Set 2 keyboard: Device reopened after 10 attempts.
  (II) Video Bus: Device reopened after 10 attempts.