jimmy: you might have a different problem because the delay that my
original bug report is describing happens after grub, not before it.

  Grub long sequential reads are extremely slow from USB2.0 HDD/FLASH
  drives

Status in GRand Unified Bootloader:
  Confirmed
Status in “linux” package in Ubuntu:

  Grub long sequential reads are extremely slow from USB2.0 HDD/FLASH drives.
  Reading vmlinuz(4.6MB) + initrd(18MB) takes several minutes (~0.5Mb/s)

  Issues affects all grub versions until current in Natty (1.99~rc1-13ubuntu1).
  But might be related to bad BIOS implementations.

  Affected chipsets:
  Intel 915 (todo)
  Intel 965 (82801G)
  Nvidia MCP79

  Not-Affected chipsets:
  Intel 965 (82801H)

  Original description:
  I'm using Hardy. Nothing happens for 50 seconds during bootup. There is only
a blinking cursor on the screen after the grub menu. After the 50 seconds the
splash screen appears. This problem only occurs on cold start, it doesn't
happen when I just reboot. I have an HP nw8440 laptop. I'm attaching my dmesg
and lspci -vv output.

  Old Update: I've found out that initrd is read really slowly and this
  is causing the long delay during boot. Please read comment #27:
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/247960/comments/27