As far as I can see from the upstream discussion this is indeed a kernel
issue. Initially it was intended to be fixed by

Author: Mel Gorman <mgor...@suse.de>
    xen: properly account for _PAGE_NUMA during xen pte translations
Steven Noonan forwarded a users report where they had a problem starting vsftpd
on a Xen paravirtualized guest, with this in dmesg:  BUG: Bad page map in
process vsftpd  pte:8000000493b88165 pmd:e9cc01067

However the patch got reverted later (which also made it back into 14.04
via stable because it caused regressions on migration.  With v3.15-rc2
there was a new change to address this:

commit 29c7787075c92ca8af353acd5301481e6f37082f
Author: Mel Gorman <mgor...@suse.de>
    mm: use paravirt friendly ops for NUMA hinting ptes

It looks that change (while tagged for stable) has not yet been picked
up for 3.13.

  Unable to start vsftpd on Ubuntu 14.04 (Amazon/EC2 or Xen) with
  default configuration

Status in “linux” package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in “vsftpd” package in Ubuntu:

  The configuration submitted was modified during testing, but this also
  failed with the default configuration. The only solution I have found
  so far was to delete the configuration, this would allow the service
  to start, but obviously not work as intended.

  If I try to start the service manually using vsftpd or sudo vsftpd I receive
the following error message:
  500 OOPS: munmap

  I also tried the default commands
  /etc/init.d/vsftpd or service vsftpd start

  Package: vsftpd 3.0.2-1ubuntu2
  ProcVersionSignature: User Name 3.13.0-24.46-generic 3.13.9
  Uname: Linux 3.13.0-24-generic x86_64
  ApportVersion: 2.14.1-0ubuntu3
  Architecture: amd64
  Date: Sun Apr 27 21:23:18 2014
  Ec2AMI: ami-896c96fe
  Ec2AMIManifest: (unknown)
  Ec2AvailabilityZone: eu-west-1b
  Ec2InstanceType: t1.micro
  Ec2Kernel: aki-52a34525
  Ec2Ramdisk: unavailable
  ProcEnviron:
   TERM=xterm
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>
   LANG=en_US.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  SourcePackage: vsftpd
  modified.conffile..etc.vsftpd.conf: [modified]
  mtime.conffile..etc.vsftpd.conf: 2014-04-27T21:16:28.222467
  ---
  ApportVersion: 2.14.1-0ubuntu3
  Ec2AMI: ami-896c96fe
  Ec2AMIManifest: (unknown)
  Ec2AvailabilityZone: eu-west-1b
  Ec2InstanceType: t1.micro
  Ec2Kernel: aki-52a34525
  Ec2Ramdisk: unavailable
  Package: vsftpd 3.0.2-1ubuntu2
  PackageArchitecture: amd64
  ProcEnviron:
   TERM=xterm
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>
   LANG=en_US.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  ProcVersionSignature: User Name 3.13.0-24.46-generic 3.13.9
  Tags:  trusty ec2-images
  UserGroups: adm audio cdrom dialout dip floppy netdev plugdev sudo video
  _MarkForUpload: True
  modified.conffile..etc.vsftpd.conf: [modified]
  mtime.conffile..etc.vsftpd.conf: 2014-04-29T19:03:28.834467