Thanks for your answer and sorry for the late feedback. This weird
bug/panic disappeared after switching from nonfree Catalyst to free
radeon driver. Even when using Catalyst again, the bug does not
reappear. So Dave seems to be right, thanks for the pointers. However I
still don't understand the link with pulseaudio etc. Obiously some
voodoo involved here, therefore this bug can be marked as invalid.

Thanks.
rooots

  Kernel Panic caused by pulseaudio

Status in “linux” package in Ubuntu:

  Happens with:

  OS: Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, Gnome-Flashback
  Kernels: 3.13.0, 3.13.11, 3.14.1, 3.15.0
  Pulseaudio: 1:4.0-0ubuntu11

  Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H
  Audio: Onboard VIA VT2021

  Does NOT happen with same hardware and Ubuntu 12.04.4, Kernels 3.12.13
  and earlier.

  Symptoms:

  (1) Greeter / Login screen unresponsive for 5..10s,
  (2) After logon, desktop unresponsive for 5..60s before panels etc. show up
and mouse pointer appears,
  (3) (1) and (2) occasionally accompanied by Pulseaudio causing up to 100% CPU
load
  (4) Kernel panic at shutdown/restart or when attempting to kill pulseaudio

  (1) and (2) happen approx. 8 out of 10 times. switching to tty while
  desktop is unresponsive, top shows high cpu load for pulseaudio. kill
  -9 of pulseaudio causes kernel panic in most of the cases. Also,
  "pulseaudio -k" causes kernel panic. Kernel panic also occurs on each
  system shutdown/restart.

  When deactivating onboard sound in BIOS, (1)-(3) do not occur, but (4)
  still happens.

  After removing pulseaudio (incl. associated packages) via apt-get, all of the
above symptoms are gone.
  Switching kernels makes no difference. Ubuntu 12.04.4 (Kernels 3.12.13 and
earlier, pulseaudio 1:1.1-0ubuntu15.4) is running fine on the same hardware.

  I've attached a camera screenshot of one of the panics. Please let me
  know how I can help debugging this issue.

  lsb_release -rd
  Release:      14.04

  apt-cache policy pulseaudio
  pulseaudio: