Hmm, I'm still seeing this with an apparently up to date 14.04. It's an
Acer Aspire 1301 which until I installed 14.04 (fresh on SSD) was
working fine. What I have noticed is that I can now only use the Nouveau
drivers - the Nvidia ones are hopeless - crashes with major rendering
issues almost straight away. Again, all was fine prior to 14.04.

The death is infrequent - can use for a couple of days over multiple
simultaneous logins, then get a lock when switching users. alt-ctrl-f1
drops me back to a  terminal, alt-ctrl-f7 back to the frozen display. So
next time it happens, what is the best way of capturing a log?

  Ubuntu freezes completely when switching user

Status in “linux” package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in “xserver-xorg-video-intel” package in Ubuntu:

  I'm using a freshly installed Ubuntu 13.10. As soon as I click on a
  different user I want to switch to in the gearbox menu I get a black
  screen and nothing else is happening. I'm still able to SSH to that
  box and top does not show any process taking 100% CPU. Alt+sysrq+b is
  able to reboot the system. I had no problem like this with Ubuntu
  13.04 on the same computer.

  WORKAROUND: Disable the nvidia card in the BIOS.

  Package: lightdm 1.8.2-0ubuntu1
  NonfreeKernelModules: wl
  ApportVersion: 2.12.5-0ubuntu2.1
  Architecture: amd64
  Date: Fri Nov  1 17:40:41 2013
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 13.10 "Saucy Salamander" - Release amd64
(20131016.1)
  MarkForUpload: True
  SourcePackage: lightdm
  ---
  ApportVersion: 2.12.7-0ubuntu3
  Architecture: amd64
  AudioDevicesInUse:
   USER        PID ACCESS COMMAND
   /dev/snd/controlC0:  ubuntu     2816 F.... pulseaudio
  CasperVersion: 1.336ubuntu1
  CurrentDesktop: Unity
  DistroRelease: Ubuntu 14.04
  IwConfig:
   eth0      no wireless extensions.

   lo        no wireless extensions.
  LiveMediaBuild: Ubuntu 14.04 LTS "Trusty Tahr" - Alpha amd64 (20140105)
  MachineType: Acer Aspire 5755G
  MarkForUpload: True
  Package: linux (not installed)
  ProcFB:
   0 inteldrmfb
   1 nouveaufb
  ProcKernelCmdLine: file=/cdrom/preseed/username.seed boot=casper
cdrom-detect/try-usb=true noprompt floppy.allowed_drive_mask=0 ignore_uuid
initrd=/casper/initrd.lz quiet splash --
  RelatedPackageVersions:
   linux-restricted-modules-3.12.0-7-generic N/A
   linux-backports-modules-3.12.0-7-generic  N/A
   linux-firmware                            1.119
  Tags:  trusty
  UserGroups: adm cdrom dip lpadmin plugdev sambashare sudo
  dmi.bios.date: 08/09/2012
  dmi.bios.vendor: Acer
  dmi.bios.version: V1.21
  dmi.board.asset.tag: Base Board Asset Tag
  dmi.board.name: JV51_HR
  dmi.board.vendor: Acer
  dmi.board.version: Base Board Version
  dmi.chassis.type: 10
  dmi.chassis.vendor: Acer
  dmi.chassis.version: V1.21
  dmi.modalias:
dmi:bvnAcer:bvrV1.21:bd08/09/2012:svnAcer:pnAspire5755G:pvrV1.21:rvnAcer:rnJV51_HR:rvrBaseBoardVersion:cvnAcer:ct10:cvrV1.21:
  dmi.product.name: Aspire 5755G
  dmi.product.version: V1.21
  dmi.sys.vendor: Acer