Would it be possible for you to test the latest upstream kernel? Refer
to https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelMainlineBuilds . Please test the latest
v3.16 kernel[0].

If this bug is fixed in the mainline kernel, please add the following
tag 'kernel-fixed-upstream'.

If the mainline kernel does not fix this bug, please add the tag:
'kernel-bug-exists-upstream'.

If you are unable to test the mainline kernel, for example it will not boot,
please add the tag: 'kernel-unable-to-test-upstream'.
Once testing of the upstream kernel is complete, please mark this bug as
"Confirmed".

Thanks in advance.

[0] http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v3.16-rc1-utopic/

** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu)

  Monitor configuration changing every few minutes after standby/resume

Status in “linux” package in Ubuntu:

  On a Lenovo R61i with integrated graphics Intel GM965/GL960, Ubuntu 14.04
64bit, after a standby/resume cycle, every few minutes the monitor resolution
changes, stretching (horizontally) the desktop and the windows. The laptop
monitor, therefore, only displays half desktop (the left one) with the windows
and the desktop stretched. The panel and the launcher are ok, whereas the
pointer moves within my monitor, but controlling the new resolution display,
hence not pointing exactely to where it is, but to somewhere at its right! As
soon as this happens, an error window pops up, saying "unable to change monitor
configuration, due to CRTC 64". As I exit this window, everything returns
normal. Switching to TTY1 and back to desktop, instead, does not fix it.
  To be precise this doesn't happen as soon as I wake up the laptop, but it
occurs after some time it has been waken and then repeats every few minutes. It
may also happen that, instead of all this, I only see my desktop rearranging
things very quickly (less than 1 second) or just flashing and then returning to
normal view.
  This bug was not present in Ubuntu 12.04 Precise, with the same hardware.

  Looking at the system logs I have found that what happens is that Xorg
  resizes the framebuffer as if it had to split the desktop between the
  laptop monitor and an external monitor, due to a VGA external monitor
  being detected.

  Temporary: screeshots will be soon attached.

  Package: linux-image-3.13.0-29-generic 3.13.0-29.53
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.13.0-29.53-generic 3.13.11.2
  Uname: Linux 3.13.0-29-generic x86_64
  ApportVersion: 2.14.1-0ubuntu3.2
  Architecture: amd64
  AudioDevicesInUse:
   USER        PID ACCESS COMMAND
   /dev/snd/controlC0:  andre      1816 F.... pulseaudio
  CurrentDesktop: Unity
  Date: Tue Jun 17 23:44:42 2014
  HibernationDevice: RESUME=UUID=da6deeac-db6b-48e8-8ddc-59a8648748b2
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 14.04 LTS "Trusty Tahr" - Release amd64 (20140417)
  MachineType: LENOVO 7650D6G
  PccardctlIdent:
   Socket 0:
     no product info available
  PccardctlStatus:
   Socket 0:
     no card
  ProcFB: 0 inteldrmfb
  ProcKernelCmdLine: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-3.13.0-29-generic
root=UUID=febc6820-7932-4c2a-8c99-14c5a4795832 ro quiet splash vt.handoff=7
  RelatedPackageVersions:
   linux-restricted-modules-3.13.0-29-generic N/A
   linux-backports-modules-3.13.0-29-generic  N/A
   linux-firmware                             1.127.2
  SourcePackage: linux
  dmi.bios.date: 04/12/2010
  dmi.bios.vendor: LENOVO
  dmi.bios.version: 7PETC3WW (2.23 )
  dmi.board.name: 7650D6G
  dmi.board.vendor: LENOVO
  dmi.board.version: Not Available
  dmi.chassis.asset.tag: No Asset Information
  dmi.chassis.type: 10
  dmi.chassis.vendor: LENOVO
  dmi.chassis.version: Not Available
  dmi.modalias:
dmi:bvnLENOVO:bvr7PETC3WW(2.23):bd04/12/2010:svnLENOVO:pn7650D6G:pvrThinkPadR61e:rvnLENOVO:rn7650D6G:rvrNotAvailable:cvnLENOVO:ct10:cvrNotAvailable:
  dmi.product.name: 7650D6G
  dmi.product.version: ThinkPad R61e
  dmi.sys.vendor: LENOVO