This bug is missing log files that will aid in diagnosing the problem.
>From a terminal window please run:

apport-collect 1349679

and then change the status of the bug to 'Confirmed'.

If, due to the nature of the issue you have encountered, you are unable
to run this command, please add a comment stating that fact and change
the bug status to 'Confirmed'.

This change has been made by an automated script, maintained by the
Ubuntu Kernel Team.

** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu)

  Ubuntu 14.10 - No display with kernel 3.16 generic on HP dv6z 7000
  (AMD APU + AMD GPU)

Status in “linux” package in Ubuntu:

  After upgrading my laptop to the 14.10 alpha release, I no longer get
  any display after booting past GRUB.  I select Ubuntu from the GRUB
  menu and then the display shuts completely off (including backlight)
  and remains off until I hard-reset the machine.  It does appear to
  continue booting in the background but no combination of keys
  (ctrl+alt+f#, fn+f4 [monitor hotkey], ctrl+alt+backspace, etc) will
  wake the display.  If I reboot back to my old 3.13 kernel from 14.04
  it boots up properly with the display working fine.  It did this with
  3.15 as well, both from the kernel PPA and from the 14.10 alpha
  repository.

  I had a similar issue with kernel 3.12, in which I would see boot
  messages but the display would shut off when X started.  This seems to
  be due to my configuration being not well supported.  The laptop is a
  dual AMD system with an AMD A10-4600M APU and a discrete AMD Radeon HD
  7730M 2GB GPU.  I've determined that the display outputs (LVDS LCD,
  HDMI, and VGA) are off of the integrated APU graphics while the 7730M
  is only a render offload GPU.  I cannot disable the discrete GPU in
  the very restrictive BIOS, thus both GPUs are available when booting
  the machine.

  I have configured VirtualBox on my Windows partition to be able to
  boot the physical partition so I can access it that way even if the
  kernel doesn't boot.  I can also boot into recovery mode on the
  3.15/3.16 kernels just fine, though the Radeon graphics do not work if
  I try to load X and it falls back to llvmpipe.