Public bug reported:

Dear all,

I have recently installed Trustry (14.04.1) on my Dad's laptop. The
laptop was running Ubuntu 12.04 before without any issues. However,
after installing, the system won't boot into Ubuntu. At some point after
selecting 'Ubuntu' in Grub, the system reboots.

What should happen: Ubuntu boots normally, Dad is happy

What happens instead: Ubuntu bootloops, Dad is not-so-happy.

Specs: Samsung P560, Intel Core 2 Duo P8700 (2.53 GHz), 4 GiB RAM,
Nvidia Geforce G9600M GS. The laptop also runs Windows 8.1 Pro in a
Dualboot environment.

Unfortunately, since I cannot boot into Ubuntu on his laptop, I cannot
provide detailed information about the running kernel, since it won't
run altogether.

There is a very similar bug here:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1309578, but this
one affects only AMD CPUs.

Any ideas?

Cheers
Benjamin

PS: Please allow a bit of time for me to react, since I have to relay
your suggestions to my Dad on the phone and guide him through the steps
before I'll be able to answer. Thanks in advance for your patience.

  Ubuntu 14.04.1 encounters bootloop some time after Grub

Status in “linux” package in Ubuntu: