Ming Lei's patch is here:
https://lkml.org/lkml/2014/9/2/307

** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu)

  Kernel crash when mounting bcache on a vm with virtio

Status in “linux” package in Ubuntu:
  In Progress
Status in “linux” source package in Trusty:

  bcache used in a virtual machine:

  If you create a bcache device with caching device and backing device
  on virtio disks, it will let you do your work until you mount it where
  it crashes the virtual machine (virtual machine is utopic, host is
  trusty).

  For example:
  if your backing device is /dev/vdb, and your caching device is /dev/vdc:

  sudo make-bcache -B /dev/vdc -C /dev/vdb --writeback
  is ok

  mkfs.ext4 /dev/bcache0 -L bcache-test
  is ok

  but
  mount /dev/bcache0 /media/bcache

  make it crash, if I remember well one time I had a few seconds before
  crash, but I don't have any log files.

  qemu-system-x86 is version 2.0.0+dfsg-2ubuntu1.2

  Re-installing, and using IDE virtual interface seems to create and
  mount the bcache device is ok.

  After bcache created an mounted successfully with IDE interfaces,
  switching to SATA, SCSI, and USB with booting and mounting seemed ok.