I know the last comment on this ticket was more than 3 years ago, but I
thought I would add a note that this *still* seems to apply to some
devices.

I'm running the 3.14 kernel, and hooked up my old Lacie USB 500 GB hard
disk. I got identical behavior to that described in this bug report:
things would work fine for a while, then disconnect.

Setting /sys/block/sdX/device/max_sectors to 128 (from the default of
240) solves the problem. I was able to run a full "badblocks" and
"badblocks -n" across the device without problem.

I'm going to add the udev rule to the computers where I plan on using
the disk, so this is a minor issue for me, but I figured I'd just make a
note that it is still an issue for folks with certain crappy old
hardware. :)

  USB mass storage stops working after a while

Status in “linux” package in Ubuntu:
  Won't Fix
Status in “linux-source-2.6.17” package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in “linux-source-2.6.19” package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in “linux-source-2.6.20” package in Ubuntu:
  Won't Fix
Status in “linux-source-2.6.22” package in Ubuntu:
  Won't Fix
Status in “udev” package in Ubuntu:

  I just plugin an external USB 2.0 hard disk.  It is detected and seems to
work.
  However, when I start copying large files it stops working (unmounts itself)
after a while.