Hi Andy,
The mentioned patches from bug #1317697 were in regards to having VMBus v3.0
negociated, which is a requirement for kernel crash feature to work on a
WS2012R2 Hyper-V host.
That patch was already included in the original utopic builds that we've tested.

Nevertheless, we've tested this again with the daily build from Sept 30th, and
the problem remains.
Using the default crashkernel option of 384M-:128M doesn't produce a proper
vmcore dump, only after we manually change that to crashkernel=384M-:256M.

Is there a plan to increase the base values?

  [Hyper-V] Unable to perform a full kernel crash on Ubuntu 14.10

Status in “linux” package in Ubuntu:
  In Progress
Status in “linux” source package in Utopic:
  In Progress

Bug description:
  System details:
  Linux ubuntu 3.16.0-9-generic #14-Ubuntu SMP Fri Aug 15 15:03:57 UTC 2014
x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
  Ubuntu Server 14.10 Daily build from 19th Aug (first build picked up for
testing)

  We have followed the steps at
  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/CrashdumpRecipe to configure kdump on a
  Generation 1 VM.

  kdump is loaded and when we trigger the crash, a kernel panic is
  displayed.

  Issues:
  1. The vmcore/crash file is not generated under /var/crash as configured in
the kdump config.
  2. The VM will hang and not reboot.  Default action to take in case of a
failure is to reboot - again as set in kdump config.

  Repro rate: 100%
  VM settings: tests ran with 1 CPU core or 4 cores.
  Negociated VMBus is 3.0, which has been integrated since 14.04 so this should
work as no other patches are needed.
(https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1317697)

  I'm also attaching the serial console output of both cases - single
  core and SMP.

  root@ubuntu:~# kdump-config  load
  efi memory descriptor version 0 is not supported!
   * loaded kdump kernel

  root@ubuntu:~# cat /sys/kernel/kexec_crash_loaded
  1