On 14-10-04 07:25 PM, Christopher M. Penalver wrote:
> hibernate, this is treated as a separate issue

That's what I suspected.  Hibernation is a very minor issue compared to
the system melt downs and data loss that I have experienced with the
issue reported in this ticket.  I will not file a hibernation bug until
this issue is fixed.  I'd rather focus on solving this issue, that was
not present in 'buntu 13.10.

My luck is that at the moment I am not as critically reliant on this
laptop as I was until four months ago, but if I have to rely on it for
serious work again, the options are very limited at this point and do
not include 'buntu because it has to be a known-to-work kernel 3.13, or
a different O/S altogether.  Both scenarios are not particularly
attractive.  So my hope is for this bug to be fixed before I need the
laptop again.

  [Sony VAIO SVP13215CDB] suspend/resume failure

Status in “linux” package in Ubuntu:

  System worked well with Xubuntu 13.10.  Installed Xubuntu 14.04LTS
  from scratch. Now the system is unstable.

  To reproduce:
  * boot up
  * close the laptop lid
  * reopen the lid
  * try to access files
  * repeat

  Usually, after closing the laptop's lid, the system will correctly go
  to sleep.  Sometimes the system is OK after reopening the lid, but
  eventually and consistently, after a few cycles, reopening the lid
  turns the screen back on but every command fails. Disks and USB keys
  give buffer I/O errors, the system is unstable and I am left with no
  other option than to long-press the power button and lose work.

  Package: linux-image-3.13.0-35-generic 3.13.0-35.62
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.13.0-35.62-generic 3.13.11.6
  Uname: Linux 3.13.0-35-generic x86_64
  ApportVersion: 2.14.1-0ubuntu3.3
  Architecture: amd64
  AudioDevicesInUse:
   USER        PID ACCESS COMMAND
   /dev/snd/controlC0:  yuv        1970 F.... pulseaudio
   /dev/snd/controlC1:  yuv        1970 F.... pulseaudio
  CurrentDesktop: XFCE