In what exactly consists the fix to this bug? An updated (and working)
usbip package? Or the ability to set up usbip without any additional
packages? Or what else?

I too would really like to use it in Trusty...

  usbip source is maintained in kernel tree now

Status in “linux” package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in “usbip” package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in “linux” source package in Utopic:
  Fix Released
Status in “usbip” source package in Utopic:

  Both the userspace and kernel module parts of usbip are in the linux
  kernel tree now.  The source used in this package is quite old.

  I'm not sure how to best handle the packaging aspects here -- I
  imagine that it would be undesirable for usbip to be built as a side
  effect of the main kernel package build, because then the kernel
  package build would be even slower and usbip is probably not updated
  enough to justify that.