On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 10:12:23AM -0500, Kyle McMartin wrote:
> arch/x86/kernel/apic/nmi.c has been removed upstream, so I'm wondering
> how to merge this patch...
>
> The most appropriate place to change the sample period appears to be
> kernel/watchdog.c::get_sample_period and making the '5' configurable,
> but obviously that isn't quite the same as what the original patch
> intended.
>
> Or, should I drop the patch since it seems to be generally
> unnecessary...

Dropping the patch is appropriate.  x86 stopped using the old nmi watchdog
awhile ago, and Fedora seemed to have been using the new nmi_watchdog, so
the patch does nothing now.

As for its intent, what started with Aris' patch slowly diverged into a
rewrite of the nmi watchdog upstream. :-)  Upstream, I slow everything
down to 60 seconds per Ingo's suggestion.  This should also help for
laptops too (well a little bit, we have room for improvement here).

Cheers,
Don