On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 08:38:32PM +0000, Mr Dash Four wrote:

> >Oh, I suck, I searched for DRM_NOVEAU instead of DRM_NOUVEAU.
> I did exactly the same as you as my French is really crap!
>
> >Jarod figured it out.  For some reason CONFIG_STAGING needs to be set to
> >'y' for DRM_NOUVEU to be enabled for some reason.
> How did it work in my .34 version without CONFIG_STAGING being set
> then? Do I really need to scan through all Kconfig files in order to
> see what has/hasn't changed and then figure out what needs to be
> changed/added to the config-local file then?
>
> The patch should be transferring my options - it doesn't, end of!

It did and worked perfect.  The problem was you overrode CONFIG_STAGING
which in turn disabled things that you cared about.

> CONFIG_DRM_NOUVEAU is a case in point - at least I should have been
> warned what's coming! It is not just these options that haven't been
> transferred - run diff on the two files I attached and see how many
> other options have not been transferred over.
>
> If I am supposed to check every Kconfig file in order to see what
> will be applied and what not, then I am better off ditching the
> bl**dy patch and entering everything manually - why bother
> otherwise?!

Listen the tools Fedora uses are designed to help maintainers catch config
options that are not specified.  They were never designed to help people
swim through the sea of endless config options.  The maintainers already
go through the Kconfig files to see what options to select.  It sucks
everyone knows that.  This is why Fedora selects as many as possible and
provides them.  This is why upstream has a 'make defconfig' option.

Choose the options that are important to you and stick them into
config-local.  Let Fedora choose the rest for you.

Cheers,
Don