On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 3:09 AM, Paul Bolle <pebo...@tiscali.nl> wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-02-03 at 21:45 -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:
>> Paul didn't really give any indication what kernel he was running or
>> what config he was using.
>
> In the cover letter I mentioned i686. Full details are:
> $ uname -i -m -o -p -r -s -v
> Linux 2.6.38-0.rc2.git9.1.fc15.i686 #1 SMP Tue Feb 1 03:11:57 UTC 2011
> i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
>
> Ie, current rawhide, no local patches, no config changes.
>
>> I see the latest rawhide kernel has those
>> options set because of selects done on CONFIG_OLPC.
>
> $ grep OLPC.*= /boot/config-2.6.38-0.rc2.git9.1.fc15.i686
> CONFIG_PCI_OLPC=y
> CONFIG_OLPC=y
> CONFIG_OLPC_XO1=m
> CONFIG_OLPC_OPENFIRMWARE=y
> CONFIG_OLPC_OPENFIRMWARE_DT=y
> CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2_OLPC=y
> CONFIG_BATTERY_OLPC=y
>
>> That's somewhat
>> unfortunate.  Still, devicetree-discuss would be a better place to
>> send this.
>
> But wouldn't I there simply get told to disable these OLPC options on
> non-OLPC hardware?

If you explain the situation fully, maybe not.  Grant Likely drives a
lot of the work in that area and is rather reasonable in my opinion.
Perhaps if you expand the changelog in the patch to point out that
distro kernels will turn those options on even though most x86
machines aren't OLPC, a reduction to a KERN_WARN would be ok.

You never really know until you try.

josh