On 2016-11-30 11:59 AM, Dan Horák wrote:
On Wed, 30 Nov 2016 08:51:29 -0800
Laura Abbott <labb...@redhat.com> wrote:

On 11/21/2016 10:46 AM, Laura Abbott wrote:
Hi,

As a follow up to the previous discussion about kernel configuration
in Fedora
(https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/kernel@lists.fedoraproject.org/thread/DBOBI6F3SLEAW2O5RLGZOOXQ5VKEWQIW/
) I have a prototype of what a method of keeping each configuration
file in a separate file would look like. This method takes care of
several of my gripes of the current version (and found a few errors
in the existing config files). The biggest question I have is if
this will scale for how frequently Fedora adjusts configuration
options. Some of that could possibly be solved with more scripting
improvements.

The repo is at
https://pagure.io/fedora-kernel-labbott/branch/split_configs

Thanks,
Laura

A reminder of this for those who may have missed it. I'm going to take
silence as no objection or opinion.

With my s390x hat on, my wish for kernel config is to have a way to
inherit the generic Fedora config, but still be able to build for
example only white-listed network drivers. Right now globally enabled
"PCI" enables also all drivers for all PCI-based devices (network,
storage, ...), but the s390x hardware has an internal whitelist of PCI
ids, so doesn't make sense to them all except the white-listed ones
(seen eg. in mainline default config). Is it feasible with the new
scheme?

Yes, absolutely, but it's also doable with the current scheme, as Laura was suggesting.

--
Jarod Wilson
ja...@redhat.com