On Wed, Nov 30, 2016 at 04:25:30PM -0800, Laura Abbott wrote:
> >  I don't think it would be a bad idea to enable in rawhide and see how it
> > works out, from there it will trickle down as the stable releases get
> > rebased.  While turning it on in theory shouldn't create a problem. I
> > honestly don't get warm fuzzies making such a change without at least some
> > time testing in rawhide. We are just a week or two away from 4.9 final now,
> > so it isn't a huge delay.  The changes being proposed upstream are not even
> > in next yet, so it has some time to be shaken out before it would ever see
> > a stable release, though the feature would need to be enabled in rawhide
> > for testing as that happens.
> >
> > Justin
> >

> I'm not opposed to turning it on but I'm a little bit wary
> of this causing unexpected problems for users. From
> experience, how likely is it that a module passes the version
> checks but something else has changed such that it no longer
> works? Even if we can't officially support 3rd party modules,
> I'd like to not make it too much worse within reason.

Hi Laura,

Thanks for the feedback!

That can always be the case, static inlines for example.  But RHEL has been
relying on this since RHEL-5 with many 3rd party drivers.  Various fixes
have gone in to the genksyms tool to make this interface fairly reliable.

Fedora doesn't need to support or promote it.  Just a service to try and see
if it adds value to someone.  I don't expect this change to make things
worse.

Cheers,
Don