Hi,

On 09-08-17 22:14, Justin Forbes wrote:
On Wed, Aug 9, 2017 at 1:12 PM, Hans de Goede <hdego...@redhat.com
<mailto:hdego...@redhat.com>> wrote:

    Hi,

    I've been working on cleaning up the vboxguest drivers so that they
    can be added to the mainline kernel for:

    https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/VirtualBox_Guest_Integration
<https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/VirtualBox_Guest_Integration>

    The vboxvideo driver is already upstream, atm it is in staging
    because it still needs to be ported to the new atomic-kms APIs
    but otherwise it is in very good state and not really of staging
    quality (I've already done a lot of cleanup reducing it from
    52681 in its original form to 7275 lines in staging).

    Some people have expressed concerns about my plans to _temporarily_
    carry patches for the vboxguest integration in the Fedora kernel pkg.

    I can understand that you are reluctant to carry patches which
    need to be maintained for ever and ever, but that is not the case
    here.

There is no question that you can clean up the drivers in a way that the code
is sane.  My issue is that there have been numerous attempts to upstream vbox
over the years.  All unsuccessful. It isn't a lack of faith in your abilities,
but a question of how the larger community upstream accepts these.

    So I'm hereby asking the Fedora kernel-team for permission to add
    these 2 drivers as patches to the Fedora kernel for a kernel-release
    or 2 while I finish pushing them upstream.

I would at least like to see the initial reaction the upstream posting before
agreeing to this.

Ok fair enough.

There is plenty of time before Fedora 27 ships.

Beta-freeze is quite soon (slightly less then a month from now) and
it would be nice to have some testing outside of my little sandbox
before then. But yes we still have some time.

Regards,

Hans