Lo! On 29.11.2017 14:22, Hans de Goede wrote:
> On 27-11-17 12:13, Bastien Nocera wrote:
>> Is this what's responsible for loud pops when I stop playing music for a
>> couple of seconds, or restart after not using it?
>>
>> I use headphones in a multi-use audio jack port[1] on a Dell desktop machine.
>> And they pop quite loudly every time I start playing audio again after a
>> little
>> while, or when I stop/pause for more than a couple of seconds.
> […]
> Are you running a rawhide kernel, then yes this might be the cause.
>
> When I asked upstream if it would be save to enable hda codec powersaving
> by default, they mentioned that there are some (according to them rare)
> devices which suffer from this, to test pass: "snd_hda_intel.power_save=0"
> on the kernel cmdline, if that fixes it then you've a model affected
> by this. I think we need a udev/hwdb based blacklist for this.

FWIW: My Dell XPS 13 (9360) is also affected (and I saw a few other
notebooks where this happens, too). But it only happens on Linux on my
machine. I wonder if the proper solution would be to investigate what
Windows does differently to prevent those pop sounds (yes, HDA power
saving seems on in Windows). Does Windows maybe mute the all outputs
before making the codec sleep to prevent this? Or something else?

Just my 2 cent, which I'm sharing here because getting the root cause
solved might be hard, but in the end might be less work and less hassle
than creating and maintaining a blacklist...

Side note, TWIMC: I also hear some static noise with Linux until I run
"amixer -c PCH cset 'name=Headphone Mic Boost Volume' 1" (see
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dell_XPS_13_(9360)#Continuous_hissing_sound_with_headphones
for details), which makes it nearly unnoticeable. That's also not
happening in Windows. I had Dell looking into both these issues, but
haven't heard anything from them in a while :-/

CU, knurd