From: Jan Stancek on gitlab.com
https://gitlab.com/cki-project/kernel-ark/-/merge_requests/1433#note_709281351

> I am not sure if that hides other things that should be enabled

It does, but gcov was always best-effort kind of feature. It's not built by
default in ARK or RHEL. So I didn't think anybody would mind.

> I wonder if that causes issues later with -rt and -auto variants later

Potential issue with full gcov variant is that number of configs could expand
a lot if you add more variants. Since each variant would also have gcov
variant.

> I thought about using something like kernel.local but calling it kernel.gcov

I was thinking about something similar as well. I'll push what I'm trying at
the moment. It's using config tools to build/verify full gcov config during
srpm creation - so config check targets should catch any issues.
But it uses only partial gcov config in SRPM and then merges it on top of
current config, similar to kernel.local.