What I understand with respect to static and inline functions is

To make a function call CPU has to save registers and pass on ret
instructions when ever the function call ends
 if we have a small fucntion which is used in a file and a function
call via CPU then over head of saving flag registers ,saving stack and
making the called function return to the location where the call was
made is so much that it is preferred to replace that call via the
actual function itself hence if some one has such a function which has
is of very less number of lines and has been called once or twice then
it is good to declare it inline.

You need to understand mechanism of function call as what does
processor do when a function call is made.

--
Tapas
http://mightydreams.blogspot.com