Hi Akashi,

On 25/04/18 10:20, AKASHI Takahiro wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 24, 2018 at 05:08:57PM +0100, James Morse wrote:

>>> I might have confused you. The assumption here was that we adopt format (D),
>>> where all NOMAP regions are sub nodes of "System RAM", but still use
>>> the current kexec-tools.
>>> As I said above, this will end up an un-expected behavior.
>>
>> I'd like to fix this without having to fix user-space at the same time. It
>> looks
>> like no-one else has second level reserved regions,
>
> This was my assumption when I sent out a patch to kexec-tools.

But this would still leave user-space that isn't updated broken.

>>> Again, if you modify /proc/iomem, you have to update kexec-tools, too.
>>
>> If we squash the memblock_reserved() stuff down so it appears as a top level
>> 'reserved' region too, I don't think we do.
>
> If I correctly understand, you're talking about my format (E).
> As I said, it will fix the issue without modifying user-space, but
>
> || This does not only look quite noisy but also ignores the fact that
> || reserved regions are part of System RAM (or memblock.memory).

I agree its noisy, there are significantly more 'reserved' areas, but these are
all either nomap or memblock_reserved().

Why does it matter if a reserved-region is nomap or memblock_reserved()? Any new
kernel will learn the difference from the EFI memory map and make its own
decisions.

Kexec-tools only needs to know what it can overwrite without clobbering
important data like the UEFI memory map, or the APCI tables covered by the
linear map.

>> This prevents the efi-memory-map
>> being overwritten on kernels since kexec was merged.
>>
>> Its horribly fiddly to do this. The kernel code/data are special reserved
>> regions that we already describe as a subset of system-ram, even though they
>> are
>> both also fragments of a bigger memblock_reserved() block.
>
> Actually, we don't have to avoid kernel code/data regions as copying
> loaded data to the final destinations will be done at the very end of kexec.

For kexec yes, but that is the existing format of the file, which we shouldn't
change, otherwise we break something else.

>> While we can walk memblock for regions that aren't reserved, allocating
>> memory
>> in the loop changes what is reserved. That one O(N) walk ends up being
>> four...
>
> At most O(n^2)?

I think for_each_free_mem_range() is smart enough not to do that. Patch
incoming...

Thanks,

James