On 8/7/20 4:25 AM, Jaroslaw Staniek wrote:

On Fri, 7 Aug 2020 at 00:22, Swarup <dinban...@sprynet.com> wrote:

On 8/6/20 6:03 PM, Jaroslaw Staniek wrote:

On Thu, 6 Aug 2020 at 21:40, Swarup <dinban...@sprynet.com> wrote:

On 8/6/20 3:20 PM, Jaroslaw Staniek wrote:

On Thu, 6 Aug 2020 at 20:04, Swarup <dinban...@sprynet.com> wrote:

On 8/6/20 1:22 PM, Jaroslaw Staniek wrote:

On Thu, 6 Aug 2020 at 19:14, Swarup <dinban...@sprynet.com> wrote:

On 8/6/20 12:54 PM, Jaroslaw Staniek wrote:
Hi Swarup
KEXI can import individual tables from CSV at the moment.

If that is the case then why is the .csv file I browse to greyed out in the import window. The import function is not permitting me to select the file of type .csv for import.

"External Data -> Import Data from file" supports CSV.
"External Data -> Import tables" supports TSV which is a special tab-based subset of CSV formats.

Ok, I see how it works-- that is very good.

Now: If I want to make adjustments in the parameters of the table, say, increasing the number of columns beyond the number currently in the .csv file, and increasing the number of characters permitted in a cell, do I do that before or after carrying out the import procedure?

Before because altering table in-place is not supported at the moment.

But the table doesn't exist in Kexi until I import the .csv file. There is no table for which to go into design view and alter the parameters. Upon importing the .csv, the table gets created. So before importing the .csv,where is the table in which I would go into design view and add more columns, and increase the number of characters permitted per cell?

That would be a good extra feature of the importer. I think it was not planned because it is easier to envision one the table altering feature that servers all the needs. Unfortunately that altering has not been delivered yet.

One feature (altering) would be also less things to manage.

Sure, that is a good idea going forward.

But I need to understand what you meant by "Before because altering table in-place is not supported at the moment." Kindly let me know how to do it "before".

- extra columns need to be entered into the CSV file directly prior to import, you can do that e.g. using a spreadsheet or in MS Access, by importing+editing+exporting
- Max Length property can be altered in KEXI's table designer at any time i.e. can be done after import

Re extra columns, ok-- that is clear. I will do it in a spreadsheet like Excel because MSA has limited number of permitted characters in cell (255), and will truncate all my data.

Re max length: If I import and then do the alteration, it will destroy/remove all my date when I go to save the new table design. So I think, as you seem to have indicated earlier, that it needs to be before the import. And the procedure fo that is not clear to me. Please give some guideline about this.

Also: Is there a limit to what the max length can be set at?

Also I wanted to point out that the CSV format:
- does not define representation of multiple tables
- does not define constraints like the permitted characters

This is all application defined. MDB defines it so it could be useful for the import.