On 02/24/2012 12:42 PM, Miguel Angel Ajo Pelayo wrote:
> Hehe, that can be another option, yeah!,
>
>    I've worked with lua before, tuned the garbage collector to work in deeply
> embedded
> devices (under 32kB of RAM) and
> wrapped some libs by
> hand:
> http://code.google.com/p/espardino/source/browse/#svn%2Ftrunk%2Fopenlibs%2Flua
>
>    I think Javascript is incredibly more versatile, widely adopted, and easy
> to program
> (also has already a couple of debuggers that can connect to the V8 lib and
> debug set by
> step very easily).
>
>    But, in the other hand the wx wrappers, I/O libraries, and default support
> in swig,
> could finally make it a better candidate. It seems like a cleaner path, may
> be less
> versatile, but cleaner at least. May be we should walk our first path this
> way.
>
>    What do you think Dick?

If I look at how I might weigh the various factors, in order of importance:

a) Do we have qualified man hours to do any such work?
If Miguel you step up and say yes, we have a yes here.

b) licensing, seems fine.

c) platform scope, seems fine.

d) industry awareness and acceptance, seems fine.

e) wx support, seems very fine.

f) compactness, seems fine.

g) impact on existing KiCad build process, probably OK.

I don't see any drawbacks, one however could have answered many or most of
these questions
about python the same way?

I am not opposed to LUA in any way, and at the end of the day, (a) above may be
the most
important.

Mine is only a single opinion however.

Dick