Hi,

Am 21.06.2015 um 03:06 schrieb Cirilo Bernardo:

> a. Abstracting a stream class which can magically support
> file retrieval by http, local files, and perhaps github (I know
> next to nothing about how github works) and local file
> writing.

std::istream?

> b. The stream class can automatically inflate *.gz files
> (basically files compressed by zlib and with .gz at the end).

boost::iostreams::gzip?

> Supporting *.gz can typically shrink footprint files to 30-40%
> of the uncompressed size and VRML files can often
> compress to <15% of the original size and large STEP
> and IGES files can compress to 10% of the original.

Is that actually a problem for users, though?

I'd probably even want to see the opposite -- network operations removed
from the rest of the program. Right now, if I have github footprints in
my list, entering cvpcb or pcbnew always takes a while because the
libraries are updated everytime.

I'd rather have an explicit mechanism to update the libraries, giving me
local files that are instantly and always available, with no new failure
modes to handle for the application.

   Simon