On 29.02.2016 20:41, Wayne Stambaugh wrote:
> At some point in our history, someone half way changed the default
> behavior of the delete hot key in pcbnew (legacy canvas).  There is a
> dubious albeit incomplete attempt to limit the delete hot key to the
> currently selected tool.  When did we decide to that and who made that
> decision?  This would explain why I cannot delete certain items when
> certain tools (track and footprint) are selected.  I thought we were
> working under the assumption having to constantly select the "correct"
> tool to delete (or any other hotkey function for that matter) items
> associated with that tool was not a good thing but rather a waste of
> time.  One of the things I've always hated about other EDA packages was
> the notion that I could only delete object if I had the tool for that
> object type selected.  I'm really not interested in repeating behavior
> in KiCad.  Does anyone really think limiting hot keys to the currently
> selected tool is a good idea?

Hi Wayne,

In my opinion, it's justified in some cases (such as being able to
quickly delete a track).

I checked the behaviour of the legacy canvas:
- when in track mode, it only allows deleting tracks
- when in footprint mode, it only allows deleting footprints
- when in zone mode, it doesn't delete anything.

The delete hotkey handler is called in all cases. I guess the problem
PCB_EDIT_FRAME::OnHotkeyDeleteItem(), although it hasn't been modified
since 2014.

Tom

PS. I'm working on adding similar functionality to the GAL - it's a bit
more complex, because the P&S has a separate data model that needs to be
synced up to the underlying BOARD object when a delete operation is
performed.